Building an Opteron 939 System

ATVkid

Hi Guys, I'm new to the DFI Forums, so here's what I'm doing for my new system because 478 and AGP are being phased out. :angel:

DFI Lanparty Nforce4 Ultra-D

AMD Opteron Socket 939 148 (2.2 Ghz)

Sapphire ATI X800GTO2 (Unlocks to an X850XTPE)

Using my OCZ Powerstream 520, Dell OEM RAM, and WD hard drive. I plan on upgrading my hard drive to a Hitachi Deskstar SATAII 160GB, and my RAM to something...Suggest me some!

Anyway, good to meet you all, and I hope to help out here a lot!

ATVkid

Hey kid, welcome. You need to make a signature, per forum rules. Even if you don't have the complete system yet, put in your wishlist, so people can see what you are talking about. I understand you have it listed right there, but in the future when you make new threads, or if this one gets to be pages long, people won't have to keep looking back at post #1 to see what you have...I suggest ocz.

Hi Guys, I'm new to the DFI Forums, so here's what I'm doing for my new system because 478 and AGP are being phased out. :angel:

Using my OCZ Powerstream 520, Dell OEM RAM, and WD hard drive. I plan on upgrading my hard drive to a Hitachi Deskstar SATAII 160GB, and my RAM to something...Suggest me some!

ATVkid

FYI, the 939 opterons are NOT supported "officially" with DFI boards. They will probably work, but you won't be able to get any official support from DFI if you have issues. That said, many people have used them with great sucess (high overclockability).

Thats a good choice for a PSU. You might want to go for 2x80GB hitachi SATA2 drives, and put them in RAID0. For under $60 per drive, its quite competitve price wise. For RAM, I would personally go for 2x1024 of either PC4000 or PC3200 low latency. OCZ and Crucial seem to be the brands of choice. Patriot or Gskill if you want to save a little $$.

I'm pretty sure the opterons are OEM, so you will need a good HSF. XP-90s are the all around best value. Good performance, easy installation. TT Big Typhoons cool a bit better, but they are HUGE and they aren't completely compatable with DFIs Athlon 64 mounting bracket.

ATVkid

Heh, wassup dude? if i said "Ket" that should give u a hint to who i am :D

'tcha Ket. Good to see ya.

And I'm sorry bout the sig guys, I threw one up, but had to log in, so it didn't get submitted the first time. Threw one up for ya.

BTW, I've already got the Powerstream, just waiting on the Opteron.

FYI, the 939 opterons are NOT supported "officially" with DFI boards. They will probably work, but you won't be able to get any official support from DFI if you have issues.

Where did you see/hear this that Opterons are not officially supported? Will they be supported in the future? I'm hoping to get an Opteron myself.