nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sharp

Thanks for creating and maintaining this guide. It's a big help. I'm another newb, first time builder. I tried a search of this thread but couldn't return the results I need. I am posting here as opposed to PM in the hope that another newb with the same question can find this post.

Briefly, I just bought an X2 3800+. A trusted source has told me to stick with the higher end mobos, and I have fixed on the DFI LanParty UT nF4-Ultra D. I am not going to be overclocking or doing any gaming; I just want good components and a stable system at stock. I have 2 X 512 OCZ Premier Series 2.5-3-3-7 (OCZ4001024PDC-K).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227069

I was planning on getting two more (another matched set) for 2 GB total (bought the first two before realizing that 2 GB is the standard these days, esp. for those whose priority is speed in multitasking). I read the first post in the thread and got the impression that the suggestion for PC 4000+ or higher applies only to overclockers. If I know that I will never overclock this board, can I go with 4 X 512 of these sticks? Is it a really bad idea to go with 4 X 512 as opposed to 2 X 1 GB?

My desire is to get components which will be as 'plug and play' as possible for my first ever build. I wouldn't know a BIOS tweak if it jumped up and bit me in the butt :). I am doing this because I want to learn but at the same time, I wouldn't mind a smooth first go.

As I said, I tried a search. If your answer is "the answer has already been given, please search this thread" I will fully understand as you get this same request a lot, I'm sure.

Thanks either way, Nik

Hi Sharp

Thanks for creating and maintaining this guide. It's a big help. I'm another newb, first time builder. I tried a search of this thread but couldn't return the results I need. I am posting here as opposed to PM in the hope that another newb with the same question can find this post.

Briefly, I just bought an X2 3800+. A trusted source has told me to stick with the higher end mobos, and I have fixed on the DFI LanParty UT nF4-Ultra D. I am not going to be overclocking or doing any gaming; I just want good components and a stable system at stock. I have 2 X 512 OCZ Premier Series 2.5-3-3-7 (OCZ4001024PDC-K).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227069

I was planning on getting two more (another matched set) for 2 GB total (bought the first two before realizing that 2 GB is the standard these days, esp. for those whose priority is speed in multitasking). I read the first post in the thread and got the impression that the suggestion for PC 4000+ or higher applies only to overclockers. If I know that I will never overclock this board, can I go with 4 X 512 of these sticks? Is it a really bad idea to go with 4 X 512 as opposed to 2 X 1 GB?

My desire is to get components which will be as 'plug and play' as possible for my first ever build. I wouldn't know a BIOS tweak if it jumped up and bit me in the butt :). I am doing this because I want to learn but at the same time, I wouldn't mind a smooth first go.

As I said, I tried a search. If your answer is "the answer has already been given, please search this thread" I will fully understand as you get this same request a lot, I'm sure.

Thanks either way, Nik

The only thing I'd like to comment/add as a fellow DFI and system building newb is to make sure that you get components you could overclock if the urge strikes you. I felt the same way as you do, that I just wanted to build a stock system that was stable. But the fact is that the DFI mobo is an overclockers mobo, and the AMD is an overclocker's CPU... the urge to bump your performance up by 10% or 15% without a whole lot of pain (e.g., watercooling, etc.) will strike you.

I tried to save money by going with value RAM -- I did okay, but I wish I had the foresight to just buy good overclocking RAM to begin with, as the bug did bite me, and I'm forced to make do with what I have. I also tried to save money on the PSU initially, and use stock AMD cooling -- guess what? I've upgraded both of them.

From that standpoint, it might not be a bad idea just to get 2x1GB DRAM that is friendly to overclocking, as well as a rock-solid PSU, and some aftermarket cooling solutions just in case.

-r

Yeah you don't need PC4000 if you are never going to OC.

4 sticks is not going to be problem but 2 with be better (slightly faster).

Ask one of the OCZ boys if 4x512MB OCZ4001024PDC-K will be ok before you buy.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/member.php?u=323

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/member.php?u=3834

Ok Sharp, thanks a lot for that. I have written to Ryder and Andy.

rsh2k1, thanks for the advice, and believe me, the thought has crossed my mind. After all, if a 5-10% performance gain can be achieved by the world's simplest overclock, why not go for it, right? Re: the PSU, I am definitely going to buy one off of the reco list. With regard to the RAM question.... agh! My budget is so blown already but will an extra $150 make a difference at this point? No. Anyway, I will take your experiences into account - thanks for your comments.

Hi ,

this is Enrico from Italy , sry bad english i have a question for you.

I have in mind to change my AMD 64 3500+ with a 3800x2 , and change my very good 1 GB (2x 512mb) OCZ DDR 400 Plat ed rev 2 with a dual channel kit 2x1GB ..now this is the question , what ram i can buy (not much expensive) ?

I plan to use my 3800x2 to 2200Mhz (the freq of my 3500+ ) , so i don't know what ram i can choose..i would good timings at 220Mhz .so what chip based ram?

I see this in a shop that are at good price, but i don't know this model:

Gskill 2048 MB Dualchannel Kit, DDR400, 2.5-3-3-6, F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS

what do u think about?

if this aren't good , what about

TEAM GROUP DDR400 PC3200 2Gb. in KIT 2PZ da 1GB. DIMM (CHIP INFINEON)

the first are low price than 2nd .

or i may choose a much expensive DDR500 kit?

Thank you all for help me., bye

Enrico ;)

any recommendation for RAM for the LP UT nF4 SLI-DR? My budget is ~$125 for 1gb (2x512mb). I am not planning to OC right away but might be in the future. I'm not one of those OCer that will squeeze every bit out of the system. I like G-SKill or OCZ rams. Thanks.