nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

Hopefully I can get it close to this review, the review of the Ballistix from this site helped me dicide on the purchase.

http://www.insanetek.com/review.php?id=53&page=3

Voltes-5: Here's a thread I found on timings for this kit. If you don't mind, let me know what you find as I am trying to tighten my timings. Post your findings here, if it's not to much to ask. Likewise, I'll be posting my findings.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since i aint gonna read this thread ( i did read the first page though) i just wanted to ask

since the sli-drs appear to kill ballistix should i pick one up or should i go asus? i looked at dfi cause of teh feature set... to see it kill my ballistix tho. suggestions?

since i aint gonna read this thread ( i did read the first page though) i just wanted to ask

since the sli-drs appear to kill ballistix should i pick one up or should i go asus? i looked at dfi cause of teh feature set... to see it kill my ballistix tho. suggestions?

The Ballistix kill themselves - not the board. Where did you get this info? (<- not questioning you, just curious)

It may be that because no other board allows as many tweaking options as this one does, that the chance of killing the Ballistix is higher when using this board when applying thw wrong settings (eg voltage). But the Ballistix issue is due to a bad batch of IC's.

The other issue is they fry fast (that doesn't seems to affect all batches): It is not recommended to run them without active cooling when going higher than 2.8v

EDIT: I'm referring to the 2GB kits - I'm not familiar with the issue that occured with the 1GB kits on this board.[/

The Ballistix kill themselves - not the board. Where did you get this info? (<- not questioning you, just curious)

It may be that because no other board allows as many tweaking options as this one does, that the chance of killing the Ballistix is higher when using this board when applying thw wrong settings (eg voltage). But the Ballistix issue is due to a bad batch of IC's.

The other issue is they fry fast (that doesn't seems to affect all batches): It is not recommended to run them without active cooling when going higher than 2.8v

EDIT: I'm referring to the 2GB kits - I'm not familiar with the issue that occured with the 1GB kits on this board.[/

sorry i quoted that wrong. my ballistix are at stock 2.5v and running underclocked at ddr452 (lack of board options forces me to do this.) my ballistix get pretty damn warm... i have a 120mm fan that will cool the two stickcs i got (i have to figure out how to place th efan, its freakn huge)

The DDR400 default specification is 2.6v ;), Crucial recommend 2.8v and that is what you should use.

i know.. cept my board being the piece of crap it is has no dividers. its at 2.7v rite now, underclocked at ddr452, if i havent mentioned it already. so since the board has no cpu voltage options the highest itll go is 226 fsb, which is what the mems at. no probs, goin dfi later. :D

samsung uccc chips are a good alternative to micron/tccd rite? gskill and some ocz use samsung chips.. dont know about the pc4000 eb ones on newegg. prolly infineon.

gskill all the way.

as for the guy up there, it really sucks to be u. did u buy direct from crucial? cause thats not fair.. give you 160 bucks for the pair or some crappy generic-style ram... id go with the ram cause the sticks they offered you are going for like 95 bucks last time i checked on newegg.

well, i have read the guide at the start of this thread....and found out the crucial ballistix is no longer recommended...(that was my previous choice)....i have gathered that i need with one of the following:

Winbond UTT BH-5 / Winbond UTT CH-5 / Samsung TCCD/TCC5

since i am gonna OC for the first time now, i am not sure which one to go for....

i am also not sure which memory to go for now that i cant get crucial...

need help on both of these Qs...

my limitation regarding the RAM is: it shud be 2x512MB, and not more that $120 altogether...