nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

how different are the TCCD and TCC5 in HTT terms ?

because im looking to get a new set of OCZ plats rev2s and im wondering whether they are still TCCD or now come with TCC5 or sth else ?

Regards.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

They were TCCD, They became TCC5 and now I think they are back to TCCD.

But depending on the online shop/stock you may get TCC5.

Some of the good TCC5 can behave just as good as the TCCD but overall TCCD is that bit better.

OCZ's TCC5 are very good.

It have to be 1x512MB, cause in the future im gonna buy the other 512MB Stick and have 1 GB, im a gamer.

And it would be 84$...hmmm +shipping :/

Men, im 5c|23w3D.

Well, if i dont find anything better than the GEIL i will have to buy it, aint gonna buy OCZ Premier, they are coming a lot of problematic modules and i cant try my luck...

hey just a quick question regarding OCZ memory and overclocking. since the VX series of the pc3200 and the regular gold series are only like 5 or so dollars apart what would be better for the overclocker? i'd rather have tighter timings than mhz bc a64 usually preform better with the earlier. well im just wondering how much difference the two would have?

hey just a quick question regarding OCZ memory and overclocking. since the VX series of the pc3200 and the regular gold series are only like 5 or so dollars apart what would be better for the overclocker? i'd rather have tighter timings than mhz bc a64 usually preform better with the earlier. well im just wondering how much difference the two would have?
CosmicRain you might wont to make a sig before the heat catches up with you :nod:

i did but it was after u posted and i used quick reply doesnt it show up in QR?

EDIT: ok yea it does just not there ^^ wierd.

well what do you think?

it seems that if one OC's with the VX you can get timings like 2-2-2-8 or lower if u go to 3.5v hmm this seems like a noobish question but what is the difference in having like x-x-x-8 and having x-x-x-5 or so? it seems like the first three sometimes determine preformance. is that true? would it be better to have 2-2-2-8 at 3.2v or like 2-2-2-5 at 2.8 or so?

Hello,

The last number can vary a bit.

The OCZ gold VX is rated 8 but can be tweaked to 5.

would it be better to have 2-2-2-8 at 3.2v or like 2-2-2-5 at 2.8 or so?

At 200Mhz the gold non-VX is better.

The Gold VX can run at 250Mhz with 3.3v and 2-2-2-X

Then Gold non-VX can run at 250Mhz with 3.5v and 2-2-2-X

So if you are going to overclock the GOLD VX would be better.

OCZ offer a PC4000 GOLD VX, this one is guaranteed to run at 250Mhz and if it costs a bit more it would be a better buy.

For both GOLD modules, you must keep them cool when overclocking.

Sharp (and others :) ) !

My friend intended to buy me 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix in USA but failed to do so therefore my only choice here in Croatia ATM is G.Skill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ.

Is that also a good choice considernig my rig (in sig) ? That Venice must go upupup ! :)

Thanks !

Theoretically,

3-4-4-8 @250Mhz = 2.5-3-3-7 @200Mhz

G.skill should have programmed some SPD values, whatever they are you should use as they run a lot of tests to confirm the most stable timings.

;)

Posted this before but it was wrong forum, I didn't realise there was a dedicate purchase advise forum and decided might as well ask here...

Currently looking to upgrade RAM. I have a Venice 3000+ but I may upgrade to dual core in the distant future. Planning to get 2x512mb. Mainly care about good timings rather then memory bandwidth/clock speed since it's the only thing that really makes a significant difference for A64 and I have a Ultra-D so numerable multipliers if I can't run sync. However clock speed isn't completely ignored since as said I may upgrade to x2 and perhaps it makes a bigger difference here (haven't actually researched this). Also I am not loaded with money so don't really want to spend that much.

I don't really want to have to actively cool my RAM so I would prefer not to have to run at say higher then 3.1V. In any case, I def don't want to use higher then 3.3V due to the problems I've heard of with the 5V rail option.

Anyway looking at the choices available here in NZ and what others have used and had success with. I'm not in the US so please no ebay/NewEgg/whatever links. I've nailed it down to 3 options. The first is Ballistix DDR400/PC3200. The second is Geil Ultra-X (GLX1GB3200DC) which since this will be new will probably be BH-5 I suppose. The third is Ballistix Tracer PC4000.

I'm leaning towards Geil Ultra-X because it's probably BH-5 and a lot of people use Geil Ultra-X and BH-5 with the Ultra-D and it's def known to work well but disadvantage is if I want to get max, probably should go 3.2, 3.3V and active cool. As mentioned by Sharp, Crucial Ballistix & Tracer with their Micron RAM is a relatively unknown, although that's changing due to it's popularity with the 2x1gb crowd. However Ballistix DDR400 is an attractive option because it's significantly cheaper ~45% (Tracer and Geil are about same). Of course, Tracer is in theory guaranteed to go at 250mhz

BTW, I have excluded various options which are available here but I consider too expensive/not worth it, e.g. Mushkin XP4000 Redline and other XP Mushkin (15% more then Geil/Tracer), OCZ, Geil ONE S...

PS. I only care about tangible performance differences in a variety of apps and games not benchmarks or boastability