CPU Fan shuts off?

I have the Thermaltake inexpensive SilentBoost K8 CPU cooler. I had it plugged in to the CPU fan header on the DFI Ultra-D. When I booted it stayed on for about 10 secs then the fan shut off. I checked the seating of the cooler and everthing else and could find no problems so I connected the fan power to a adaptor and hooked to the power supply. It runs fine that way. I was wondering whether the board is doing some kind of intellegent fan control? I was too paranoid to leave it on the MB header with the fan shut off. Otherwise everything is well.

I was wondering whether the board is doing some kind of intellegent fan control?

yes it does if the CPU is not hot enough then the BIOS will turn the fan off and switch it back on as the temp rises, check CPU temp in bios and leave it running (in the bios) if temp increases rapidly and the fan stays off then get a new fan but the fact it spun and then turned off means its probably fine and was cool enough to switch it off, mine fan is only on when the system is under load or ambiant temps are warm.

1101']hi guys, this is my first post,

how do you configure it not to do it?

thanks

Go into NIOS and into PC Health. It should list when your Fans turn all the way on and all the way off. I have mine set to all the way on at 25*C, so they're almost always on unless I just started my computer and it's a cold day.