installed sli and now chipset temps are insane

well i installed my 2nd bfg 7800gtx card last night but didnt get to really stress them until today .. i played some F.E.A.R just to see what my temps would hit .. since with 1 card overclocked to 490 core .. i was idling around 44c and loading in the 70cs ..

when i installed my 2nd card .. my idle temps are now 1 card is 60c and the other is 50c .. after playing for about 30 min or so .. 1 card hits 80s and the other one in the 70s .. which people say is normal ..

but what really worried me is my chipset temp soared .. normally it will never get above 51c .. well after playing with dual cards .. my chipset temp was in the friggin 70s .. like mid 70s .. that is insane .. and now is idling in the 50cs

is this even safe .. its seriously making me question running sli anymore

I have the same problem, I guess it's because that the chipset is places underneath the VGA cards. This increase in temp's has caused my chipset fan to constantly running at 100%, which makes it louder than a jet plane...

I don't know how safe it's in the long run, but something tells me that the fan will die soon. I'm currently trying to find a good cooling solution to add to my chipset and SLI cards. Water cooling is probably best, but it's also the most complicated and expensive solution.

Please let me know if you find a good solution to this problem.

Kind regards,

Karl

Karl has it here...another card equals higher temps around the chipset which in turn leads to higher chipset temps. I've read that the chipset is actually safe up to 120 C, so I wouldn't worry too much. The only way you're going to get lower temps with this setup is by increasing air flow through the case. Whether this is done by increasing fan speed or rigging more fans in the case, you'll have to decide, but those temps aren't going to go down unless you find a way to get more cool air flowing in and more hot air flowing out.

its got me thinking is sli even worth it .. i mean i know stasiscooling has a good 7800gtx cooler coming out which vents the hot air out of the case .. and will work in sli ..

im currently using a lian li v1200b and its impossible to get fresh air up to the motherboard area .. because of the btx ..

im thinking of ditching this case and switching over to like a coolermaster stacker or something .. and least with 2x120s in the front fresh air so go over the cards

rldolph79, I'm fully aware that adding a second heat source will cause the temp's to raise. However, I wasn't prepared to see such high temp's that I have. When I boot the PC for the first time of the day, it only takes a few minutes for the chipset to go from 35c to 55c.

This dramatic increase in heat has caused my PC to lock up a few times (always during gaming). As of now, I'm running my Lian-Li PCV 2100 with one of the side panels removed, this helps but is not a long term solution.

I've also experimented with adding extra 120mm fans at the top of my case, blowing towards the chipset and SLI cards to get the air moving. This seams to do the trick. I've just ordered some tools so that I can cut a hole at the case top for a 120mm blow hole. I'm planning to put two 120mm fans up there in a similar fashion as Silverstone has done on their new TJ07 case.

Also, I've had a look at the updated version of my case and have seen that Lian-Li has added a 120mm exhaust fan beside the PCI slots, I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one of those as well.

Hopefully this will put an end to my problem...

Kind regards,

Karl

Just make sure when you add all of the new exhaust fans that you add at least another intake fan. Best case scenario you have the same amount of air intake as exhaust. You can calculate this roughly by totaling the cfm values of each intake fan and comparing it to the total of the exhaust fans. So, if you have three 120mm exhaust fans, you're gonna want to have at the very least two intake fans, and preferably three. Also, try to keep in mind the direction of the airflow through the case. If you have a fan at the back blowing in towards a fan at the front blowing in you'll disrupt the overall flow of the air through the case, which in turn may actually hurt more than it helps. Some things to think about.

My fan layout is (or is to be) as follows:

* one 120mm intake in lower front

* two 80mm exhausts in lower rear

* The Lian-Li has a bulkhead that divides the case in one lower and one upper compartment

* one 120mm intake in (upper compartment) lower rear

* one 120mm intake on the side panel and in same hight as the above intake fan

* two 120mm exhausts fan at the top of the case i.e. blow holes

All fans are ADDA and are of the same spec's, except the two 80mm's

Does this sound like a good or bad setup? I came up with this layout since warm air goes up and cold air goes down.

Kind regards,

Karl

its got me thinking is sli even worth it .. i mean i know stasiscooling has a good 7800gtx cooler coming out which vents the hot air out of the case .. and will work in sli ..

im currently using a lian li v1200b and its impossible to get fresh air up to the motherboard area .. because of the btx ..

im thinking of ditching this case and switching over to like a coolermaster stacker or something .. and least with 2x120s in the front fresh air so go over the cards

I recommend getting 2 or 3x120mm cage and the crossflow fan. I'm not running SLI but with single bfg 7800gtx on load, my chipset temp rise from 35C to 43C.

I have the same case like your however I have the plus version , which comes with the blower , so what I did I attached a zalman fan I had laying around to the blower , this way it circulates air around graphic cards and chipset (zalman blow/blower sucks out of the case) , and I get very decent temps, I manged to bring both my graphic cards down to 47C idle and 72-80C load (farcy seems to produce the most heat) chipset idles around 45C and never seen over 52C.

I know it's not the coolest environment but I can live with that. see pic below to see the fan setup:

rotm_september05_01_large.jpg

If your case did not come with this blower it is available for purchase seperatly it helps a lot.

good luck

My fan layout is (or is to be) as follows:

* one 120mm intake in lower front

* two 80mm exhausts in lower rear

* The Lian-Li has a bulkhead that divides the case in one lower and one upper compartment

* one 120mm intake in (upper compartment) lower rear

* one 120mm intake on the side panel and in same hight as the above intake fan

* two 120mm exhausts fan at the top of the case i.e. blow holes

Does this sound like a good or bad setup? I came up with this layout since warm air goes up and cold air goes down.

Sounds good to me... The only other thing I can think of is to make sure your heatsink is mounted so that the heatsink fan blows with the incoming air. That'll just make sure your airflow stays fluid. Good luck...let us know how it turns out.