Hurricane Katrina - Now with Video Link

red930

Winds are gusting to over 60kts which is just below 70mph.

You can judge wind speed by how much water is sucked out of the toilet bowl when the wind blows over the vent pipe. lol

Internet access has been flaky the last hour or so.

No telling how much longer I'll be able to post.

Daylight is less than an hour away.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like a real time feed from land of hurricanes. I hear what U and your pal are doing and I respect the decision to stay and help out. As last time I dont pray but Ill worry for U anyway... Stay on top! :dog:

GL

Thanks! It's all good.

We lost cable for a few seconds but someone plugged it right back in. lol

It's really entertaining to listen to the talking heads and moving target reporters talk out of the side of their neck about something they know nothing about.

It's even funnier when they try the place names like Biloxi which is pronounced buh lux ee.

The Dauphin Island buoy is reporting wave heights at almost 50feet. That's freakin' huge.

New Orleans is actually about 6 feet below sea level in the city proper. The Mississippi River levees protect to about 21 feet above sea level. The levees along Lake Ponchatrain protect to about 12 feet above sea level.

That leaves New Orleans with about 18 feet of water in the streets if the lake levees get over-topped.

The pumps that keep the city drained are at the bottom of the canals to pump water up and over the levees. No power=no pumps.

edit

They estimate that if the worst happens, it will take 6 months to repair or replace the pumps to get the water out of the city. What a foul brew that would be. All the sewage, toxic chemicals and bodies. yuck!

So they developed a system that pumps water out of the city..... I would guess this is incase of hurricane water surges? So without electricity these pumps dont work?

I smell somthing fishy, wouldnt they excpect that the power would go out and the pumps would be worthless?

No back yard fence but you still got internet :nod:

Nope the Pumps are there to pump "normal" waterflows out. If Ure 12" below surface all rainwater and all leakage will have to be pumped out. Right now i just read a eye witness story sitting in a hospital in N.O and she stated that a car just floated by... So i guess its gonne be a couple of weeks at least til N.O is back in shape and if it continues Itll get a lot worse.

Just lost the entire east side privacy fence in the back yard..

Now your going to have to stop running around in your yard nude untill that gets fixed..lol..

Hope all is ok with you dude.. and everyone else thats fighting momma nature..

Now your going to have to stop running around in your yard nude untill that gets fixed..lol..

Hope all is ok with you dude.. and everyone else thats fighting momma nature..

Yeah, for sure, I'll bet your neighbors weren't too happy about it either!

Anyway...stay safe.