Review In The Thermaltake Subzero Thermo-electric

In theory, this is a very bad idea.

Why?

Because the peltier it uses can only handle a CPU that is producing 73w of heat; or, in other words, the peltier is only capable of moving 73w of thermal energy from the cold side of the plate to the hot side (the cold side being the side with the CPU and the hot side being the side with the heatsink).

You must now factor into the equation the fact that the peltier itself is consuming energy, and as such is making the heatsink transfer more than 73w of thermal energy from the sink to the air, probably closer to 100w.

So, it's like making your CPU 33% hotter than it really is.

It's better to just get an SLK-800 which will have lower power consumption, and maintain a lower ambient temp against your cpu and within the heatsink and inside your case.

All told, it's a fancy gimick for people who don't really know how it operates.

i agree with DJ.

"A TEC's specs are just the beginning; actual CPU cooling performance depends on many factors. Lots of folks are surprised when they try an air-cooled TEC on their T-Birds. Considering the heat load, most are lucky they don't fry their CPUs. Intel CPUs are much more likely to benefit from TEC cooling due to their substantially lower heat loads.

The only way to get any kind of cooling with high wattage CPUs is to go for more powerful TECs like the 156 watt unit. TECs of similar ratings perform at about the same level, so in purchasing I would buy on price and look for a potted unit."

http://www.overclockers.com/articles331/

"PRACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS

Basically there's no such thing as a free lunch - if you want to maximize CPU cooling, you have to use the biggest peltier you can find. The bigger the peltier, the more total watts you have to cool. The more you need to cool, the more heat is dumped into your system raising its ambient temperature. Higher ambient temp leads to more heat load leads to less cooling, and if the heatsink can't take the load, it gets even hotter - so the cycle begins.

If you want max CPU cooling with a peltier, forget air-cooled solutions - it is virtually impossible to build considering the heat loads generated. Water-cooling is the answer, and dumping heat outside the case is a better solution than closed loop systems residing inside the case. It's simple - water is a lot denser than air and hence considerably more efficient at absorbing heat than air."

and here are some Peltier Basics.

more info on Peltiers

off to do some running. lata

Edited by Trakfast11

• 2 weeks later...

;) Hi guys I am a noobi at this,here is my five cents worth.U have to buy a unit and rate it in accordance to what it has been designed for.The Thermaltake writeup specifically says the unit is for lowering noise levels with the same temp.s you normaly run at.

System specs.

2400 xp

1GB DDR 266

G4 4400

Gigabyte Kt 400

Thermaltake 420 w PSU

60 GB Seagate HDD

X6 80mm fans

Previous HSF Coolermaster CB5-6G52

Current Thermaltake Subzero

I got exactly what I wanted from the cooling unit a quiet PC with the same cooling temp.s

as advertised.Current CPU temp.s as it is winter in South Africa is between 25-32 degrees and trust me when I say my pc runs very quiet after the installation.

DJ is very much correct.. the Only CPU that the ZeroG would work well with.. would be a p3 933 and below.. and you would have to stay in the intel road.. cuz AMDs just get to hot.. I know this from experance.. cuz my 933 I used a 75 watt pelt on it.. and it worked very nice.. but you couldent use it on much anything hotter / faster..

Hi Bluedragon checkout www.activecool.com to find out about the unit from the people who designed it how it works and what it is capable of.I have a AMD 2400 XP and the unit performs brilliantly. :P

Edited by des

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I recently bought the subzero4G. What i can tell you from my observations: cpu didn't get much cooler, but the temp is MUCH more stable!! max temp is 43C then the fans start rotating at a higher speed, thus lowering the temp. My temp NEVER exceeds 43C, never ever :bah: . It is true that this sytem was designed for a more 'silent' system, but hear my case (it's actually pretty hillarious): when i installed the subzero4G i had 1 cpu fan, 1psu fan and 1 exhaust fan, i started to run with the new cooling system: nice cpu temp, low noise!!!! BUT: because of the thermo-electric cooling the temp inside my case was raising sky-high, 46c!!!!! so after a while pc started to act crazy (mobo was too hot), to solve that i had to add 2 intake fans (front and side) result:

nice temps for cpu and mobo, but NOISE!!lol

Since i don't mind about the noise (i wear a headphone all the time) i still have to say i am pretty happy with the subzero4G.

temps now cpu= 40c, mobo=34 (enviremental temp= 26c)

Greetz to the universe

Hi Varry I had read all the reviews on the subzero before I got one.I have always had temp problems with my pc and the first step for me was to mod my case adding 3 x80 mm fans.Adding all the fans up=2x80 on my PSU 5x80 in the case 1x60 HSF (6800 rpm) the noise on the sum off these fans was unreal my girlfriend use to remind me to shut the door to the study all the time.I got a case with better airflow installed the Subzero and connected two of the exhaust fans along with the two suction fans to the control unit.It made a huge difference I can now leave the study door open and my temps are far more stable.Most of the reviews I read recommend two inlet and two outlet fans to have effective cooling if you did not have the need of these fans in the first place you have purchased a cooling unit you did not need.