Aftermarket nForce4 chipset cooler

Guest mars_merged

Look, I am sure that this has been asked a million times, but I can't see a sticky thread and am not having much luck with the search.

Can someone list a few aftermarket chipset coolers that suit a DFI nF4 Ultra-D or DFI nF4 SLI-D? Not that there is any difference in chipset placement.

I know that graphics cards can be fairly shear to the cooler. Some that I am looking at are:

- Thermalright NB-1 Chipset Cooler with SilenX 40mm Fan 14dBA (40 x 40 x 20mm). Will this suffice in terms of cooling? Can anyone suggest a better fan if I can make this fit?

- Swiftech MCX159-R w/40mm fan (comes with)

Any others?

Thanks in Advance,

mars.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best bet is to stick with the original heat sink and fan, but lap it really smooth and use a good TIM like AS5 or AS3.

Then get another fan to deliver a supply of cool air to the NB chipset fan.

GL

ricey

you shouldnt be....65-70c should be about the edge.....but my solution (the nf4 link) is pretty simple.....and cheap....a drill and a saw for copper is all that is needed....perhaps drilling the 2 places where mobo components sticks up was more easy than cutting it with a saw.....

the cost for a global win socket 370 cooler is ekstremely low....and taking off finns is easy to do by hand.

I got that Alpha heatsink coming from Directron. I'm going to try and fit it out for the chipset. I also scored an Evercool VC-RE hsf, I'll use that until I get the Alpha sink modded. Though if the evercool works out I might just stick with that. From the specs of the sink and fan it looks like it should be a big step up from the stock hsf. Someone posted a link to a guy that had the Evercool, from the pics it looked like a drop in replacement. The thing with the Evercool is supply seems scarce. The placed I ordered it from and seems to be the only one with it in stock is ADPmods

anyone have any ideas as to how to cool it down when ur vid card completly covers it up??

im idling at like 51C now....used to be 46-47 with my x800xl....this 7800 is huge though and basically blocks all flow....

just wondering what can be done to help the temps a bit....

Guest Liquid

i took the little silver covering off so only the fan blades are present, applied some as5 and stuck it back on.. My 6800gt goes right over it with a zalman 700cu on it, doesnt seem to affect the temps.. Temps on ITE smartguardian are 39 degrees idle (chipset fan speed capped at 84% which is about 4000RPM) This seems to be the sweet spot for me with noise, any higher returns an annoying humming sound. Never above 50 degrees on load (usually around 45)