NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The user's manual for my ultra-D board doesn't neccessarily say to connect the EXTRA FDD-Type and HDD-Type 5v/12v connections. It does mention that "to ensure that adequate power is provided, we strongly recommend that you use a minimum of 400 Watt power supply". However, I have NOT installed these secondary power connections and my system has been running flawlessly.

Is it NOT necessary to connect these secondary power connections if you aren't using SLI and aren't doing any OC'ing??

I have not had any issues and I am curious if the Ultra-D boards don't need the extra 5v/12v draw.

Thanks!

MC

always connect the extra power connectors

ALWAYS have a minimum 480w native 24-pin power supply (check the psu link in my sig)

just because the manual does not have it, does not mean it is not true. The website does say 'subject to change without notice' and that includes everything on the website, which does include manuals and minimum specs.

ALWAYS have a minimum 480w native 24-pin power supply (check the psu link in my sig)

just because the manual does not have it, does not mean it is not true. The website does say 'subject to change without notice' and that includes everything on the website, which does include manuals and minimum specs.

Alright. I will do so before my next reformat I suppose. Thanks for the info!

MC

When you say "extra", are you referring to connectors beyond the normal 4? And if so, where on the MB are these extra ones? Photo?

Angry, do you find that the rice grain sized as5 avoids the problem of "gluing" the cpu to the heatsink? When I spread it all over and cover the whole CPU mine gets stuck together. Great guide!

even the grain of rice amount can give you that suction feel like they are glued together...it is AS5's nature

i do prefer the grain of rice method now and do not use AS5 all over the heatspreader like I used to lol

the easy way to get the heatsink off when it feels glued on is to twist back and forth slowly....it will break the suction easily without ripping your cpu out of the socket lol

Angry,

I don't recall plugging in the 4-pin molex and 4-pin flopper power connectors when I built my LanParty system. What stability benefits do these two connections offer?

search button is your friend...this has been asked about twenty bazillion times already

its a power plug

it gives additional power to the board for stability

we don't put power connectors on the board to make you upset....we put them there because they are necessary

if you see extra power connectors on the motherboard...you should probably plug them in...

(these are the answers you will see when you search)