Battlefield 2 stutter lag

My PC passes all tests thrown at it for stability, but when I try to play half life 2 or doom 3 it will stutter at first, and then stop. Is this normal? I thought it was just caching stuff to ram etc...

When I got BF2 and started playing it wierd things happen, one time I load it up everything will run really smooth but at the beginning i may have some lag like in doom 3 or half life 2 and then it smooths out. Other times it will stutter along for a long time. Stutter as in freezes the frame for half a second and then goes on. I am getting good FPS 40+ usually at 1280x768@75hz no AA med textures high everything else.

Anyone else get this problem? My vid card is only 128mB im thinking this may be the problem. I was thinking of selling the vid card on ebay for the price i paid for it and geting a GTX for like 450$.

Not sure why you are having problems but I run BF2 on my rig Aileen with no problems.

When I first loaded BF2 I encountered some of what you are describing. I simply performed a clean install of the OS and have been problem free since.

Same here, stutters at the begginig, fresh OS install. But I can't really tell if it was just for the first load (that's for sure), or at every load (perhaps no, because I can't remember and I would have payed attention if it kept going). 1280x1024 (shortcut mod) at highest settings, 4xAA. Stock system and VGA speeds.

OK. I have stuttering at all resolutions with MEDIUM and HIGH settings. Low are fine, no stuttering at all. Both in Single-player (16 bots) and MPlayer 64 players on a server for example. But probably 50% of all BF2 players have the same issues. They all say it's due to the crappy engine and a patch is needed. Hope so. Others claim they have fixed this by changing the VGA's PCI Latency. But this only works with AGP cards... The same goes for disabling Fast Writes... I tried installing some more RAM only to see whether it would change anything (got 2x1GB mushkin PC3200) but I only got some minor FPS increase. Same stuttering problems.

The OS install is brand new, running a relatively fast RAID-0 array, 77.77 drivers. Running the Sandy at 2600Mhz (and the RAM @ 260Mhz) would only give me more FPS, but the stuttering continues. Every few seconds, on fast turns, etc.

Watch your harddrive light and use diskkeeper pro to defrag. If you play at higher than 1024x768 with High AF on you should get more ram. I've seen 1700mb of memory used at 1680x1050 with 4xaa max af and my memory resident progs. My nforce 2 is smoother than my friends stock DFI NF4 A64 3000 with half the ram. Pretty cool if you ask me.

hehe runs fine for me but I only got the settings at 2xaa 1024x768@70 all others on high xept for texture at med...

But getting more ram soon and I should be able to set the textures up to high:)

chennhui, yep, the AMD one. On the Intel rig I have a Ti4200 and it's impossible to even start BF2 with it...

Well, I already said I got more ram (from a neighbour friend) but I only managed to get some more FPS (+5,6 on 1280x1024). Played around 2 hours with 2GB the stutter was still present at the same levels. From what I've read on various BF2 forums (for example TotalBF2) usually people with higher-end machines are having such problems.

Btw. the Win XP install (SP2 SS) is almost bare-naked. BF2 is the only game installed. I gave it a go right after I was done installing my system drivers and defragmenting the drives exactly with Diskeeper (like Pastuch said) - I've been using this app for almost 2 years now. That was the first time I noticed this. Then after some other installations (windows update, codecs, download manager, winamp, stuff like that) it continued. So I don't think it's a software problem, or slow HDD issue.

By the way, I am using the second PCI-E slot for my 7800 (with SLI jumpers moved, now running in 8x mode) because my chipset was getting 60+ with the hot air blown directly on top of it by the GPU cooler.

Even with the GPU on the second slot, my chipset is easily hitting 50 degrees when playing BF2 (at 50 the fan starts spinning at full speed, if it is spiining like that all the time it won't go over 45, but the noise is killing me), 75+ for the GPU. CPU is 45. These are some pretty high temps, especially for non-overclocked machine. Also mayme there is also some undervolting, but I have yet to investigate this. I say maybe, because BIOS and various apps report different things.

I'm going on a holiday today so I'll probably be able to test everything troughly in 10+ days.

Oh one last thing - the friend I got the ram from has Ti4400 (AGP) and it's impossible to test the game on his setup :/

Need a h/w medic! Over and out :)

Here is what I did to reduce this a little more.

After findind the righ resolution and IQ, I've deleted all the shaders that are created everytime you change Resolution and IQ settings.

MyDocumentesBattleField2modsbf2cache

After doing this the game will optimize again.

Rename/Delete all the movies from the game, including the ones playing on the backround.

Intalled dirBattlefield 2modsbf2Movies

I noticed tha BF2 can't use virtual memory very good, if you set to 2GB it will use 2GB, after you enters a map your HD will never stop.

I'm using 768MB fixed, the game works with 512MB too, but windows will give you the warning of LOW Virtual Memory, this way I'm only having problem playing Dragon Valley and OP Clean Sweep.

Running the game at this settings

1280x960

Terrain - High

Effects - High

Geometry - High

Texture - High

Lighting - Medium

Dynamic Shadows - Medium

Dynamic Light - High

AA OFF - Driver 4xAA

Texture Filtering - Low = Trilinear - 8xAF Driver.