Preferred brand for home networking equipment?

sdy284

Networking Question...  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred brand of WIRED networking equipment?

• Linksys
    • D-Link
    • Buffalo
    • Netgear
    • Belkin
    • Motorola
    • U.S. Robotics
    • 3Com
    • Other
  2. 2. What is your preferred brand of WIRELESS networking equipment?

• Linksys
    • D-Link
    • Buffalo
    • Netgear
    • Belkin
    • Motorola
    • U.S. Robotics
    • 3Com
    • Other

Well we used to do these back in the day, but with the new skin, we're bringing them back and starting over at #1!

In case you guys have forgotten how these work, they will run for one week and then closed. A new poll will then be created.

(From now on, polls will start and end on Sundays)

So that being said... on with the voting!

(if you vote other, please say which brand you picked)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Linksys as my favorite brand for home networking. I've never had issues and I have a cable modem, a VPN router, wireless access point, wireless bridge and a switch. All work together without a hitch.

I voted D-Link. Based on a few conversations I've had with a guy who designs and tests the chips and firmware in the D-Link and Linksys routers, I pretty much go with D-Link because they work just as well, in some cases are easier to navigate, and can generally be found cheaper in a retail environment.(e.g. you can pick up a Rangebooster DLink router for $50 almost anywhere, while the dated and skimped-out WRT54G is still running $60-70 on average.) I've used D-Link since the 11b days, graduated to 54G, then 108G, and now I have been using the same MIMO router for about two years with no real issues. If all goes well, my next router will probably be... you guessed it... a DLink.

Now none of this is to say Linksys is bad. They make great stuff, but a lot of the time retailers put that "Cisco" markup on them, pushing them out of my price range.

:withstupid:

I've always used linksys products. Wired & wireless routers, wireless PCI cards, range expanders, and even a ethernet to usb converter... all have worked flawlessly and have never given me a problem.

Plus there is a huge following for 3rd party firmware for their routers that enable a LOT more features & functionality of the routers ;)

I used to like Linksys, until I bought a WRT54G v6, which was terrible. Now I'm sort of partial to Netgear home stuff, been having very good luck with the RM 240 wireless router. It has fantastic speed and great range, as well. I really do like the fact that it has 32mb of onboard RAM, so it doesn't even lock up when there are 100+ connections. :)

I have Linksys WRT54G wireless and wired with switches and more wires. I have been running a combination of wired and wireless on close to thirty rigs now for a few years with out any problems.

Edited by road-runner

I think perhaps this would have been better as a 'preferred home networking poll' as home networking and enterprise networking are two entirely different beasts i.e. cisco vs. linksys (same parent company, two completely different markets). Because you threw cisco in the mix I had to go with them mainly because they are quality through and through. But if you're talking more home networking (which I think was the actual intention of this poll) then I would have to go with linksys (pre and post cisco buyout) and dlink. Both brands have served me well and haven't let me down.

And btw.... not having borders around the buttons is really starting to throw me off, it took me a minute to find where to vote cause it didn't look like a button.

I think perhaps this would have been better as a 'preferred home networking poll' as home networking and enterprise networking are two entirely different beasts i.e. cisco vs. linksys (same parent company, two completely different markets). Because you threw cisco in the mix I had to go with them mainly because they are quality through and through. But if you're talking more home networking (which I think was the actual intention of this poll) then I would have to go with linksys (pre and post cisco buyout) and dlink. Both brands have served me well and haven't let me down.

And btw.... not having borders around the buttons is really starting to throw me off, it took me a minute to find where to vote cause it didn't look like a button.

excellent point.

I removed cisco from the list, edited the title, and I added your votes to linksys, ok?

excellent point.

I removed cisco from the list, edited the title, and I added your votes to linksys, ok?

Dang dude. You're did exactly what I would've done if I had forumkinesis. Good job!!

Now!! ... All I need to do is find a way to modify my dna and keep good old HRG off my back :ph34r: *ooohaahhhhh*

</thinly vailed heroes reference>

I use D-Link for my wired network at home, but I voted Linksys for both wired and wireless because 1) those are the products I look for for work, 2) that's what I recommend to people who ask, 3) I've never had any problems with them and I think they're great quality, and 4) Cisco owns them now.