Overclocking a laptop GPU

I successfully overclocked the 8600M GS in my HP laptop. I could probably fine tune it a little bit more, but I like where it's at and don't see the need to go higher. 675 core, 1440 shader, 500 memory. So far, this is one of the highest, if not the highest, overclock of this card I have seen and been stable. I used OCCT GPU test, 2 hours of full-screen shader 2 stability, and an hour of full screen shader 2 error check. No errors at all, the 2 hour test ran well, no hiccups.

Highest temp seen on the GPU was 85* Celsius. That is a bit high, but will go down significantly when I install my new CPU and repaste with AS5.

I also ran 3DMark06 (free), and while my CPU sucked butt, I still got a score of 3545 3DMarks, up from the 2700 I pulled off stock.

Very happy with the OC. Yes, it is an old system. Yes, my new system will rock it easily. But hey, gets the job done now with simple games, and this was my first time OC'ing a laptop GPU. Not bad!

post-63348-0-57388400-1308625917_thumb.gif

How much ºC is like TOP secure for a Desktop GPU to run?

In summer.. with 30-35ºC environment, I ran Stock EVGA GTX 4601GB at 60ºC MAX (no liquid cooling system).. I dun like more that that so I dont OC ^^

But I see you run laptop at 85ºC o_O u gonna burn that!!!!!!!!!

How much ºC is like TOP secure for a Desktop GPU to run?

In summer.. with 30-35ºC environment, I ran Stock EVGA GTX 4601GB at 60ºC MAX (no liquid cooling system).. I dun like more that that so I dont OC ^^

But I see you run laptop at 85ºC o_O u gonna burn that!!!!!!!!!

Nah, stock temps easily get up to 90* Celsius. Laptop GPU's always get high up there. Stock temps on my new Alienware get like 80* stock. And don't forget, this was just for testing. Soon I am going to repaste with AS5.

It sits on a laptop cooler on my desk. Plus, idle temps are the same.

Ah well that's good then. My laptop is kinda crappy, so I guess others aren't as bad as mine...

Ah well that's good then. My laptop is kinda crappy, so I guess others aren't as bad as mine...

Yea, laptop temps are always going to be higher than desktop temps. My idle is always like 45* no matter what I put the card at. On my desktop I used to have, I would cringe if I saw that temp idling. I would get like 37-38* idle.

Yeah, definitely re-apply thermal paste to your GPU. I had an ASUS G1sn with a 9500M GS 512MB card, and it would easily get up to 94C while gaming, the cooling solution was very poorly designed. I took the entire machine apart and discovered a thin layer of metal foil of some kind between the GPU and the thermal past which was applied to the heatsink. It defeated the whole purpose of the thermal paste. I guess it might have been faster to slap together at the manufacturing plant :pfp:

Anyway, I removed the foil, and cleaned of all of the thermal paste. I applied Tuniq TX-2 (better than AS5 IMO) to the GPU and got instant results: 10C cooler.

Thats what I'm talking about. :cool2:

I don't know if this is common practice with notebook GPUs, but I would watch out for other manufacturing fails.