downloadedl from cnet cpuz got pup conduit malware bytes

automaton

downloadedl from cnet cpuz got pup conduit

malware bytes removed most
in programs x86 have 1 remaining reference for conduit
can I just delete it has exe

does anyone remember back in the day when cnet was absolutely reputable and loathed this kind of addon bloatware tagging ? ...years ago cnet was all for us enthusiasts, and would never think of this...i used to put much faith and trust in these guys, and zdnet too, but now not so much...

• Like 2

The Conduit Toolbar is bundled within the custom installers on many download sites like Softonic, Brothersoft and Cnet,.. here's a guide using free tools to remove it.

http://www.malwareremovalguides.info/tag/pup-optional-conduit/

Thanks for this link. Turns out I still had some crap lingering.

What a pita Conduit is.

Edited by feetfats

If I remember correctly there are opt-out chances during the download manager installation. The trick, of course, is to pay attestation.

And yes the crap ware these DLMs install is a level 70 PITA. Frankly it should be illegal. I had to spend about an hour dealing with all the junk about a week ago.

If I remember correctly there are opt-out chances during the download manager installation. The trick, of course, is to pay attestation.

And yes the crap ware these DLMs install is a level 70 PITA. Frankly it should be illegal. I had to spend about an hour dealing with all the junk about a week ago.

I don't think the lawmakers can keep up with the speed that things change on the internet. By the time there is a policy in place there is a new problem.

does anyone remember back in the day when cnet was absolutely reputable and loathed this kind of addon bloatware tagging ? ...years ago cnet was all for us enthusiasts, and would never think of this...i used to put much faith and trust in these guys, and zdnet too, but now not so much...

Back when it was JUST download.com, yeah. Those were the days.

• 2 months later...

Thank you General Chaos, Thank you Braegnok, and THANK YOU OVERCLOCKERS CLUB!!!!

The only place I trust to download from has been CNET, and now I feel this place is the last and final place I can trust on the internet. I did a little searching after going through the fix and reading this thread, and found this from yesterday:

http://www.billhartzer.com/pages/cnet-downloads-now-come-with-a-bonus-unwanted-programs-and-spyware/

I haven't had a browser hijacked in many years now. I really want to believe that CNET was somehow hijacked against their knowledge, and that the net is over-reacting. It looks like this has been going on several months, and I don't see any apologies on the CNET home page. And the saddest part of it all, is the main software I get from CNET is software that is supposed to clean up PCs, and I trust CNET editors to lead me to the softwares with the highest ratings.

Is there anywhere else on the net to trust for downloading PC cleaning software?

Thanks again.