downloadedl from cnet cpuz got pup conduit malware bytes

automaton

Thank you General Chaos, Thank you Braegnok, and THANK YOU OVERCLOCKERS CLUB!!!!

The only place I trust to download from has been CNET, and now I feel this place is the last and final place I can trust on the internet. I did a little searching after going through the fix and reading this thread, and found this from yesterday:

http://www.billhartzer.com/pages/cnet-downloads-now-come-with-a-bonus-unwanted-programs-and-spyware/

I haven't had a browser hijacked in many years now. I really want to believe that CNET was somehow hijacked against their knowledge, and that the net is over-reacting. It looks like this has been going on several months, and I don't see any apologies on the CNET home page. And the saddest part of it all, is the main software I get from CNET is software that is supposed to clean up PCs, and I trust CNET editors to lead me to the softwares with the highest ratings.

Is there anywhere else on the net to trust for downloading PC cleaning software?

Thanks again.

I've found Softpedia has been pretty crapfree, but all it takes it is an attentive install for all the others I've come across. They crap can't install unless you let it.

Trinity Rescue a Live Saver heeps of Option to clean your pc 2 way to run it LIVE is CD or USB

VIDEO!

Meh, too command prompty...

You gotta rock Falcon4's Ultimate Boot CD (custom and improved Hiren's Boot CD)

http://falconfour.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/falconfours-ultimate-boot-cd-v4-61-patch/

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Yeah, back in the day download.com, tucows.com and so many more were the bane of my dial-ups existence.

:lol:

No....mother effin' Fileplanet did mine. Stupid line waits
Aha, many a game download I have received from them.

Thanks again. I enjoyed the article calling these types of PUPs "crap-ware." I could go on a long long rant on all of the other articles calling "conduit" harmless (*cough cough BULL SHIT! cough*) but that would be preaching to the choir on this forum.

But for a more sincere question, let me ask this. 

I had been using "Advanced System Care" for a long time, and decided it was probably time to try something else (it would tell me after one scan it could not fix my system unless I paid for the pro version, which I was considering, but then it would tell me after the next scan I was at 100% clean) So I went to CNET, and saw the editors were recommending "Wise Care 365" over "Advanced System Care.". I loaded this, and this was around the time I picked up "conduit". I then decided to download "Ad-Aware" (another software I used to trust a lot) and picked up another PITA "secured2,lavasoft.com". I actually had to remove "Ad-Aware" to get that one to go away. I also removed "Wise Care 365", but I am thinking the issue was more with CNET than with the Wise Care.

So my question is, what are the good PC cleaners out there, and are any of them worth upgrading to the paid product (I am definitely willing to shell out $20-$30 for a good product that isn't putting crap-ware on my machines.)

Thanks!!

Joey

The only place I trust to download from has been CNET, and now I feel this place is the last and final place I can trust on the internet.

Is there anywhere else on the net to trust for downloading PC cleaning software?

My newest source is this:   http://www.filepuma.com/

Some of their stuff has add-on programs that you have to watch out for during installation, but I have not had anything install itself ~without~ my knowledge yet. Just trying it out to see how it does.

That said,......the absolute best place for getting programs is still www.ninite.com.

You go to their page and select from a large list of available programs of various types, and then download a file from them. It will install all of your selected programs auto-magically, one by one. (saying ~no~ to any add-on software/toolbars while it does the install)

It installs the latest versions of said programs too. If you run the installer at a later date, it will install any newer versions of your selected software that have been released since your first install.

I've been using Ninite.com for years without any problems.

Edited by RealNeil

Joey04, on 08 Feb 2014 - 1:06 PM, said:

Thanks again. I enjoyed the article calling these types of PUPs "crap-ware." I could go on a long long rant on all of the other articles calling "conduit" harmless (*cough cough BULL SHIT! cough*) but that would be preaching to the choir on this forum.

So my question is, what are the good PC cleaners out there, and are any of them worth upgrading to the paid product (I am definitely willing to shell out $20-$30 for a good product that isn't putting crap-ware on my machines.)

Thanks!!

Joey

I find  ( CCleaner) to be the best for cleaning out the temp files and registry and ( Malwarebytes) for crapware, the free versions are good enough imho. :rolleyes:

I find ( CCleaner) to be the best for cleaning out the temp files and registry and ( Malwarebytes) for crapware, the free versions are good enough imho. :rolleyes:

I've always used Ccleaner, but to be honest I've yet to see any real difference after using it. I think it's all in my head.

I rarely use it standalone, it's almost always run with a few other programs, so I never know which is doing what.

Plus if you just run Ccleaner on a family members or clients computer without looking at the options then you more often than not get yourself into more trouble as it deletes sessions, cache and cookies.

Such a pain in the ass helping people afterwards when it has logged them out and they didn't save their passwords...

Edited by Andrewr05

I hear you on that point Andrew, but the first thing I tell a customer is write down all your passwords for everything as I am not responsible if they can't log into anything. The same goes for a reinstall of windows, I let them know up front if they don't have their program setups they won't be on the pc. It's bad enough waiting 2 or 3 hours to update their 3 year old windows disc. :no: