Amd Smells A Comeback With Ati All-in-wonder Hd

I am getting one when they come out...

6-26-08-all_in_wonder_hd_2.jpg

And you thought Microsoft bringing back the SideWinder was gnarly. Announced today, AMD is resurrecting the long-standing AIW line with its first-ever high-definition variant: the $199 ATI All-in-Wonder HD. The PCI Express 2.0 card attempts to handle both PC gaming and HDTV duties by boasting specs like DirectX 10.1 support, a 725MHz engine clock, 600MHz memory clock and MPEG2 / VC-1 / H.264 video decoder acceleration. You'll also find Vista and AMD LIVE! certification badges to go along with the dual-link DVI port, HDMI jack (which supports 5.1 Dolby Digital transmission) and optional component video connectivity. As expected, users can capture live programs (as well as pause / rewind) in SD or HD over-the-air, and there's even support for ClearQAM. For those looking to take their clips elsewhere, the bundled Avivo software converts it for viewing on some of today's most popular handhelds (yes, including the iPod). Look for models from Diamond Multimedia and VisionTek to hit retailers in North America late next month. Full release after the jump.

AMD Expands The Ultimate Visual Experience

The All In Wonder is a good idea, but their performance always suffered due to x amount of graphics or card power being held back for the Muntimedia applications. It's too bad that ATI can't come up with an Additional type card that would work with whatever ATI video card the user already had. I think something like a SLI or Crossfire type link to connect it to the main card so they work together when needed, but independantly when not being used. It would be the best of both worlds

The All In Wonder is a good idea, but their performance always suffered due to x amount of graphics or card power being held back for the Muntimedia applications. It's too bad that ATI can't come up with an Additional type card that would work with whatever ATI video card the user already had. I think something like a SLI or Crossfire type link to connect it to the main card so they work together when needed, but independantly when not being used. It would be the best of both worlds

Yea that would be a good idea, I dont play games anyway I want one to hook to my satellite box to record movies and stuff. I was doing it with a AIW 2006 then I moved up to the 1950xt because it could fold then Stanford done away with folding on that card so I moved to the 2900. I moved a different rig in as my main rig so I put the 3870x2 in it and there is no video in at all...

Yea that would be a good idea, I dont play games anyway I want one to hook to my satellite box to record movies and stuff. I was doing it with a AIW 2006 then I moved up to the 1950xt because it could fold then Stanford done away with folding on that card so I moved to the 2900. I moved a different rig in as my main rig so I put the 3870x2 in it and there is no video in at all...

What's a setup like that for then? benches?

Guest ajmatson

That would be killer for an HTPC. I wounder what core/card it is based off of?

I had the 9800 AIW and the X800XT AIW and I loved the cards, the only thing that pi$$ed me off was the software needed to run it. Hopefully AMD has fired all the inept ATI monkeys that write the software and get there best people on it. Used to take 2 seconds to change the channel and recording was hit and miss, sometimes the audio was ok and other times the sync was horrible. I miss my AIW, now I actually have to turn my head to watch TV, damn right unacceptable.

Not true.

The only difference between the AIW version and the standard version of a card is that the AIW runs hotter and usually does not overclock as well due to the extra circuitry on the PCB. Same performance.