lapped my Q6600 (pics and results)

Well, after lapping my HS, I've had this nagging little voice in my head telling me to do the same from the CPU. I did the job with 800 grit sandpaper. Initially, I told myself I'd just buff what's there right now just to see if it's level. After about 30 laps in one direction and 30 in the other direction I discovered I had quite a concave IHS. So I just kept at it. Two 9x11 pieces of 800 grit later paper later I was left with a darn flat layer of copper looking back at me. I finished the job and put a mild shine on it with a sheet of 1000 grit I got from the local auto parts store just for the crap of it.

Here are a few pics and the temp. results I got from lapping both my CPU and HS. I would recommend that anyone wanting the best $20 decrease in temps should consider lapping both the CPU and HS.

Hardware details: Q6600 @ 9x333 and vcore of 1.2625V in the BIOS, P5B Deluxe (vdroop modded) cooled w/ an Ultra-120 Extreme (lapped) with Scythe/s-flex SFF21F 1600RPM fan, in a P182 case:

Temp results:

finaldu4.gif

Each temp. point represents an average of data collected over approx. 1 h time period during the 2nd pass of a 2-pass x264 encode of a 720x480 DVD source using a high quality video profile. Data points were logged by Speedfan every 3-4 seconds over this time period. The average CPU usage was >99 % on all 4 cores throughout the experiments. Also room temp was between 20-22

Edited by graysky

wow, the concavity reminds me of my XP-120 lol...

I know what I'm doing if I get a Core2 :D

I am going to do mine one day this week if everything goes ok, I should be moving everything to water cooling if the 2900xt is not DOA. :)

wow, the concavity reminds me of my XP-120 lol...

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like the old XP-120 problem :)

Someone else recently reported good luck with lapping a C2D. Maybe this is the beginning of a new trend around here :)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Nice Walk Thru! I'll be lapping my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme when my new fan gets here. I was just going to ask what papers to start with, but all questions have been answered B:) I never thought of looking to see how flat my Q6600 was. I guess I'll straight edge that while the cooler is out and see how good/bad it is :unsure:

Those load tempartures seem high for only 3 GHz.

Back when I actually had a working quad GT, my Load Temp hit 70C at 3.7 Ghz and 1.3375 Vcore, VID is 1.25.

is your ambient temp high?

Saw this again and it inspired me to lap my Q6600. I applied the AS5 properly this time as well. At 80+ degrees F ambient temps my load temps at 3.6Ghz(which I couldn't run at previously in this type of heat) are quite good. 52,55,51,54 at 100% load. It's also out of the case and on a tech station with direct fan cooling I should add. Thanks for posting your results.

Edited by rourkchris