Super Talent Reinvents the ReadyBoost Drive

Nemo

Super Talent Technology, a leading manufacturer of DRAM memory modules and flash storage solutions, today launched the new Exelerator family of ReadyBoost drives that use an internal 9-pin USB header on the motherboard.

The Exelerator family of drives was designed expressly to elevate system performance in Windows

Using the internal header is a genius idea. Simple yet effective. OCC review any time soon?

Edit* the price isnt bad at all either. Im really surprised at that, I thought it would be a lot more.

Edited by SMeeD

This is definitely worth looking into and not just for ReadyBoost either. I'm thinking embedded Linux. If I can get an old motherboard to boot off USB then I am halfway to making my own NAS appliance. And I agree with SMeeD on the price aspect.

The price looks very good. Another alternative would be for folding-only rigs. A lot less power consumption than a disk, faster access times, and cheaper than any retail hard disk you're likely to find too.

The price looks very good. Another alternative would be for folding-only rigs. A lot less power consumption than a disk, faster access times, and cheaper than any retail hard disk you're likely to find too.

Well, I'm definitely going to get one when they come out then - I'm going to build my first (! :lol:) folding only rig in the summer so timing's perfect :)

Guest christopher3393

Ok, first, this is basically a PR release from Super Talent that a number of sites have picked up. Secondly, given how Ready Boost has been given mixed reviews as to how much it can genuinely speed up Vista at present and that the speed is not exactly phenomenal, what really makes this news? and finally this product was previewed by a number of sites weeks ago, and the initial critcal response was "big deal!". So why does this piece of advertising, not at all unique to OCC, for a product that quite likely has marginal performance increase potential, merit top front page billing and a thread? Does this perhaps indicate a kind of "club" mentality that is simply supporting business interests, rather than genuine news that merits prioritized attention? Before you simply dismiss this as an attack, please think about it. Ok , it is interesting because it is onboard connected and may have future potential. I'm not saying it is worthless. But think about it, really, ask yourself what is news? A venue for advertizing and site self-promotion, or something fundamentally independent of this in order to maintain its integrity?

Ok, first, this is basically a PR release from Super Talent that a number of sites have picked up. Secondly, given how Ready Boost has been given mixed reviews as to how much it can genuinely speed up Vista at present and that the speed is not exactly phenomenal, what really makes this news? and finally this product was previewed by a number of sites weeks ago, and the initial critcal response was "big deal!". So why does this piece of advertising, not at all unique to OCC, for a product that quite likely has marginal performance increase potential, merit top front page billing and a thread? Does this perhaps indicate a kind of "club" mentality that is simply supporting business interests, rather than genuine news that merits prioritized attention? Before you simply dismiss this as an attack, please think about it. Ok , it is interesting because it is onboard connected and may have future potential. I'm not saying it is worthless. But think about it, really, ask yourself what is news? A venue for advertizing and site self-promotion, or something fundamentally independent of this in order to maintain its integrity?

True, another usb flash memory device:So what? So it works with ReadyBoost:Big deal. But as the rest of the post indicate, we're not impressed with either of those aspects. What is discussed are alternative uses that have nothing to do with the press release. The fact that it uses an internal header is a very good idea, especially for using the technology for folding only rigs that you don't want to run a hard drive in. I know I can boot from any flash drive, but I'm not too comfortable leaving my 4gig flash drive hanging out of a usb port. So moving it to an internal header is a great idea. Using it as a replacement hard drive in a linux environment--cool.

And like you said, I do not intend for this to sound like an attack. And I would be completely in agreement with you if all of the posts talked about how much better their Vista machine was gonna be with this "new" ReadyBoost technology. But, like our namesake, we are not very interested in what it was "designed" to do, we want to see what we can "make" it do. My e6600 was "designed" to run at 2.4ghz, but I "make" it run at 3.4. Here at OCC I have learned to ignore the marketing and look at the technology, and that has paid off very well in all of my overclocking endeavors.

Edited by upok

Guest christopher3393

Very well put and helpful response. When I reread the thread I see that you're basically right. I may have been overconcerned about the front page and the tendency I have seen in the industry to blur the line btw advertising and news. But that is off-topic.