Boot problems with Nvidia drivers

CowKing

My system isn't able to get past the login screen if I have Nvidia drivers installed (296.10 and 295.73 tested) If it does get past the login screen the colors are all messed up (and I mean MESSED UP), and the video card isn't recognized. The computer works perfectly fine with the generic Windows 7 drivers, and I can do everything else normally, but as soon as it sees there are Nvidia drivers it locks up.

I'm fairly certain that this isn't a hardware issue since the BIOS screen looks fine, and everything else looks fine until I install the drivers.

Sounds very familiar, I went back to my previous driver and it was fixed... then waited for the next update and it was fine... use the Windows Restore thingy.

tried it :(

I'd boot into safe mode and remove the driver

tried it :(

I have no idea what triggered this either. I just came back to my PC and the monitors weren't getting any video, so I restarted the computer, and now I have this problem.

Tried driver sweeper and CCleaner too?

no, but out of desperation and the fact I needed to make a clean install anyways; I formatted and reinstalled windows, so this is looking like a hardware issue

I had a similar issue with a GTX 580 and the issue was the card itself. Or it might have been my GTX 480.

:/ If I can't get this fixed in a couple days I might just send it in under warranty.

I also returned everything to stock, so it's not an instability in my CPU or RAM.

Edited by CowKing

Uninstall all items that start with Nvidia in the Control Panel (Nvidia driver first), then reboot (you may have to reboot a couple of times).

Use Driver Sweeper to get the last of any Nvidia remnants uninstalled, reboot.

Do a clean install of Nvidia drivers.

That's the surest way of getting clean drivers on there.

I was having trouble with the newer drivers as well on my GTX580's and my GTX285's.. ran driver sweeper tried again no change.. then cleaned it out again and dropped back to the 285.62 drivers and problem went away...

also tried installing the 301.x drivers and they wouldnt install...

This sounds like what I had a couple weeks ago. I was pulling my 6970s out and putting my gtx260 in. I started by removing the AMD drivers but during the uninstall after the screen flashes like normal a few times it just went black and never showed the desktop again so I rebooted. After logging back on it showed the screen mostly black but with some corrupted looking colors too. I could tell the desktop was there but it was too distorted to even click the start button. Booted into safe mode and tried driver sweeper/CCleaner and it would still do it. So I just removed the cards and installed the gtx260 and cleaned up all I could of the AMD driver...removed it all except the application profiles which refused to be uninstalled or deleted. Worked perfectly after that. Eventually I decided I was going to keep the 6970s and put them back in and installed the driver. Didn't have any problems. :dunno: