6950 with 3 monitors?

Just a quick question - I have a sapphire 6950 dirt 3 edition, and I want to use my third monitor. Currently I'm using the displayport for the first one, and hdmi for the second.

My card has 2 more ports: dual link DVI and single link DVI. Can i just hook up the third monitor to the dual link DVI or does the 6950 not support 3+ screens?

I only ask because I have neither the desk space, nor the plug sockets in my Uni room for the third monitor, and I'm going home soon-ish for the summer.

Thanks

Hi Cali,

The 6950 will support another monitor, however unless you are using a Flex edition 6950/6970 you need an active display adapter. like this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

(unless you have a monitor that has an active display port)

as you are currently using one displayport and one hdmi, you can use one of the dvi outputs (im not sure which one is linked to the hdmi, so only one will work) so if one port doesnt work, try the other

as you are currently using one displayport and one hdmi, you can use one of the dvi outputs (im not sure which one is linked to the hdmi, so only one will work) so if one port doesnt work, try the other

Not sure what you mean there Mucho, this is using 1x DP, 1x HDMI, and 2x DVI

7860 x 1080

post-73619-0-27962200-1337050891_thumb.jpg

Not sure what you mean there Mucho, this is using 1x DP, 1x HDMI, and 2x DVI

7860 x 1080

post-73619-0-27962200-1337050891_thumb.jpg

if i remember correctly you have flex edition 6950s, my standard 6970s needed to use both display ports and both dvi's for 4 screens

edit for clarity: if you have a non-flex card, the hdmi is actually running off one of the dvi outputs, so using the one of the dvi wont work when using the hdmi as well, i cant check which one it is as my 6970s are all gone, but i had a similar conversation with my friend who bought one of my 6970s last night about how he couldnt run his tv and two monitors off the card (dvi monitors and a hdmi tv, and how only one of the two dvi would work when the hdmi was in)

Edited by Muchoman1

So I can just use one of the DVI ports... Thanks

As long as the DP adapter you are using is ACTIVE, or your monitor has DP connections. As someone said, unless you have the flex card, to use three monitors with one card you use: DP ACTIVE, HDMI/DVI, DVI. The HDMI runs off the same board as the second DVI connection, thus only one can be used at a time.

As long as the DP adapter you are using is ACTIVE, or your monitor has DP connections. As someone said, unless you have the flex card, to use three monitors with one card you use: DP ACTIVE, HDMI/DVI, DVI. The HDMI runs off the same board as the second DVI connection, thus only one can be used at a time.

Even though I don't plan on using eyefinity? All my monitors are different resolutions.

That's good to know, I just built a rig with the 6950 and a 21.5", but I've got an old VGA I want to use as well, will eyefinety though automatically attempt to run Full SCreen programs on both monitors, or since there is a resultion and size difference will it only use it on the bigger high res one

That's good to know, I just built a rig with the 6950 and a 21.5", but I've got an old VGA I want to use as well, will eyefinety though automatically attempt to run Full SCreen programs on both monitors, or since there is a resultion and size difference will it only use it on the bigger high res one

If you're running Eyefinity all the monitors must use the same resolution.

Eyefinity will output the signal to a single monitor if you have a regular resolution (like 1920x1080 or 1680x1050) selected in the game itself. In games that are supported, and when you have Eyefinity enabled and configured, you should see the option in-game to set the super-wide resolution (like 5760x1080 or whatever 3x your normal resolution is). :cheers: