Oc My 1800+ Machine

Hey Peeps I'm a newbi Here And I'm about to OC my rig and was looking for some pointers!!

Heres my machine "The BlueDragon"

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP

512MG ddr 400MGHz Ram

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53GHz)

Nvida GEFORCE 4 TI 4600 128MB DDR

Creative Labs SB Audigy 5.1

WD 80Gig HD 7200RPM

Volcano 6+ Heatsink/Fan Combo

420W Power supply

Running WIN XP Home

1. Am I going to be ok on cooling I'm Running a solid 111F now

2. Should I use Bios or Easy Tunner 4 to up the Mulitplyers

3. should I stay at standard VCORE

4. I want at leat a 2GHZ (Ive read a 1700+ can go to 2.3GHz stable on stock VCORE) What Can I get To on a 1800+ on stock Vcore

5. If I need to upgrade my Heatsink/fan what is the best?

6. I know I should use a Shim but do I have to?

Pleaz give me feed back.

Thanks BlueDragon

Edited by BlueDragon

4.) the overclockability of your 1800+ depends on if your processor is a pal, tbred (a or B), or barton core. and another factor is the stepping of your processor. some information that you will want to look at will be on your processor (the OPN or Order Part Number.) this link will show you what to look at. http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

we will be able to give you a better idea of what to expect out of your processor if you find out the specs of your processor and post them.

otherwise you could always go striaght to the trial and error method (which you will eventually be doing anyways if you decide to overclock).

3.) depends on above, but you'll probably need to up it.

6.) you do not have to have a shim installed. depending on how comfortable you are with attaching a heatsink and how difficult a certain heatsink is to attach, you may or may not want to use one. you might get slightly better cooling results without the shim installed though.

2.) i don't have an Easy Tune and don't know much about it.

5.) i'm not sure what the absolute best is (or if there is one), but slk900 is one of the top performing air cooling solutions. i'm sure some others will give you more info as well. you may want to check what size heatsinks are compatible with your motherboard before you buy one though.

Edited by Trakfast11

man your write alot trakfast lol. but tha main thing is your system is ownage but if you gotta pally cpu your not gonna overclock much. simple as that but if you gotta thoroughbread then you could expect to get at least 2.2ghz out of it from what i have seen in other forums. (dont see many big overclocks in this forum)

Athlon XP Processor

Core Palomino

CPU Model 6

Manufacturing Process 180 nm

Approximate Transistor Count 37.5 million

Approximate Die Size 128 sq. mm

Performance Rating 1800+

Working frequency 1533 MHz

Package Type OPGA

Operating Voltage 1.75 V

Max Die Temperature 90

Edited by BlueDragon

what everyone is tryig to say is pals run a little hotter than anything else so its going to be hard to oc them very far if you have any questions just ask us tho

Here is a Extract from tomshardware guide showing the temp in watts increase and guess what it can only get hotter

Can u see a trend going on with the wattage the average cpu these days is about 85-90 watts

Palmino is about 60

Edited by MEEVAL666

Can u see a trend going on with the wattage the average cpu these days is about 85-90 watts

Palmino is about 60

the stock wattage of a Pal 1700+ is 64 watts

the stock wattage of a 1700+ DLT3C T-Bred B is 49.35 watts

for a 2100+ Pal it is 72 watts.

a 3000+ Barton is 74.3 watts.

i'd say that the processors efficiency has improved a nice deal and now you have faster cpus that dissipate close to the same amount of heat as the Palominos did.

the T-Breds in that review are in picture are in green and they are giving off much less heat than some of the Palomino and Thunderbird core processors for the frequency that they operate at.

here is a site you can use to find out a nice amount of useful info about processor wattages (stock and overclocked). calculate your *C/W and Farenheit o Celsius converter.

http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

Edited by Trakfast11