Why does the middle DIMM not work on the S754 nF3 250GB?

I've talked to several people that have also used the board, and the middle dimm slot causes instability for every configuration its used it. It refuses to post on mine with just a stick in it, actually. But the MSI K8N Neo can use all 3 dimms equally fine. Why is this?

Unless you've got a defective motherboard, I would think the differences we're having with using this or that stick in this or that DIMM are due to the different processor models we have; some Socket 754 Athlons have incompatibilities with this ram on that mobo. With my Athlon 64 Newcastle 3200+ I can only use one double-rank memory module on my motherboard.

AMD moved the memory controller from the northbridge to the CPU die to speed things up, but the technology is just now maturing.

But correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Unless you've got a defective motherboard, I would think the differences we're having with using this or that stick in this or that DIMM are due to the different processor models we have; some Socket 754 Athlons have incompatibilities with this ram on that mobo. With my Athlon 64 Newcastle 3200+ I can only use one double-rank memory module on my motherboard.

AMD moved the memory controller from the northbridge to the CPU die to speed things up, but the technology is just now maturing.

But correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Yeah, I know all that. But I know two others that have the same issue, and one of them is using a Rev. E Newark chip and has the same problem. Why is it that other boards with the same chip can do it, but not the DFI?

Mine works fine at stock speed but who uses it? This board is awesome and caters to O/Cers if uwanna run three dimms maybe try relaxing your mem timings or 2t if u have a cg or later rev. cpu.

Yeah, it's a great overclocking board, but it seems odd to me that there's a middle dimm slot that doesn't seem to work all of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I can use the middle slot without any issue.

I am not sure if you are even supposed to run the middle slot on it's own... so... I am almost sure my old via s754 board had that same limitation... Actually, if I remember correctly, the DFI will default to ddr333 when using the middle slot only? I remember my via board defaulting to ddr266 using only that slot?, so I think the nf3 is better!

1&3 in 5-04 but 1&2 in 4-15 bios and 1&3 with the newer 6-23 bios as well but havent found it modded yet for 4.0 vdimm so not running that in savior just yet

But as usual I keep gettin screwed on my memory so Im thinking of sending back these 2X512 OCZ goldies and snatching up 2 gigs of some cheap shi thatll give me 300 or so 3-3-3-8ish

I would have never beleived that battlefield 2 would make my system run like this but after seeing all these diff pc's that ran soooo much better after 2 gigs I guess ima jump on the bandwagon

I was hopin 260fsb 2-2-2-5 would make up but guess not..

Any recomendations for ram?

What was the manufacturer of the same value chips of ballistix, basically naked ballistix valuewise

was it g-skill?