Laser eye treatment

Jadawin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's now 3.5 weeks after the treatment and I'm still happy, my left eye is still better than my right eye even though the healing process took away a little bit. But I was expecting that after reading everything about LASIK for 2 years. I would do it again.

You mean the healing process has lost some of the improvement that you initially gained following the treatment?

It's now 3.5 weeks after the treatment and I'm still happy, my left eye is still better than my right eye even though the healing process took away a little bit. But I was expecting that after reading everything about LASIK for 2 years. I would do it again.

I've always wondered about getting it done. I know it costs a lot but when i consider how much i spend on contact lenses it'd probably pay for itself eventually lol.

I've got astigmatism in one eye though, so i wonder if they can sort that out...

I had perfect vision till i was about 13 then bam, short sightedness kicked in...

Had it done just over a year ago and the new stuff deals with astigmatism.

You mean the healing process has lost some of the improvement that you initially gained following the treatment?

When they did mine they said it would change over a few weeks and it did , if you are over 40 most people have trouble focusing up close (like newsprint) so old guys might need reading glasses anyway (I think a new process even fixes that).

I could read like a champ early on and not focus at long distances real well, but later that reversed, and if I need to read much I will put on some $10 glasses.

Old guys can pick near or farsited, or they will make one eye near and the other far.

Again I think they have a way of dealing with old guy's eyes now.

From your quack link.....

presbyopia (the inability of older people to focus their eyes on nearby objects)

I had Lasik done in 2000. One thing I have to say is that it's only as good as the doctor that does it. It's the same as if you got glasses, one doctor can make you a great pair while another can really screw it up.

I told him that I didn't want one eye to focus at long distances and the other short like he suggested but he did it anyway. Now I have terrible depth perception. One thing I miss is the depth perception when I play sports, I simply can't see the ball like I used to. And another problem is reading. Think about this, if you put a magnifying glass in front of one eye, the type font would be larger in that one eye. It may not be bad for the few words you are looking directly at but all the other words surrounding it wouldn't line up on top of each other the right way. The sheet of paper wouldn't look flat and my eyes would get tired easy. You have to consciencely think about depth instead of simply feel depth. I have friends that wear glasses and some have no idea what I'm talking about. I have a nephew that never had a good pair of glasses till he was around 25, then when he got them he couldn't stop talking about how much better he could see the ball coming at him while batting. He now knows what I'm talking about. I feel it's important to get both eyes to focus at the same distance.

For the first month I had good vision and had to use the drops 4 times a day as prescribed, and at times it felt like I was wearing contacts although I wasn't. Now you're not allowed to rub or touch your eyes for the first few months so when they itched I couldn't do anything but use eyedrops. Then my vision got a little better and I saw good for two years. Then it slowly changed and now I have to use reading glasses.

One other thing, ever since I had it I've had problems with tree pollen. Every spring my eyes burn, itch and water when the tree pollen is up and I never had that problem before.

For the first few years I would have suggested it to everyone. But today I say, if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't do it. The best vision I ever had was with contacts.

I had perfect vision till i was about 13 then bam, short sightedness kicked in...

When I was young, I had perfect eyesight in my right eye, too.

But short sightness crept in slowly... until in last few years my sight has been starting to getting better again! :cool:

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done for my left eye... :(

Oh, wait! I just realized it's my birthday now! How come the years are passing by faster every year? :sad:

I told him that I didn't want one eye to focus at long distances and the other short like he suggested but he did it anyway.

Funny you say that, same thing happened to me. Had to go back to get them matched up. Ticked me off.

Did not have the other problems you mentioned, except reading glasses but that was no suprise as most people loose the ability to focus up close as you get older.

Hi, yes, the healing process takes away some of the correction usually, but that's different in every person. So usually they will try to over correct a little to make up for the healing process. And that's a reason why a lot of doctors don't really like to treat both eyes at the same time, because you can learn from the first eye about the healing process and then apply that knowledge to the treatment of the second eye.

Thing is, I didn't want my left eye to be corrected perfectly, I wanted it to stay a little shortsighted, because when you get older, you WILL suffer from longsightedness, it's a normal aging process called presbyopia. But if you have been shortsighted before, your eyesight will in fact become better durcing that process. Old people that need reading glasses suffer from presbyopia most of the time, those who don't have been shortsighted before.

So I guess I have been "overcorrected" from my point of view, resulting in perfect vision and now the healing process brought back some short sightedness. Which is fine actually :) And it's still fantastic compared to what it was before.

Had mine done about a year after it was out. Has to be close to 6 years now. I was never given any exotic options of blurr or focus changes differant one eye to the next, but the valium sure was fun :nod: . I do have the flares that some talk about. It's like a little flash of red or white light that starts top center, and moves to the right, and falls down the right side of eye. It does not hurt, and i kinda like it. At first it scared the hell out of me. But after the first 50 times it happens, you sorta miss them when you dont have one for a week or 2. They only last a second or two, and in no way hinder vision. Best way to describe them is picture a flare shot from a boat about a mile away at night. You get to see arc part of its flight basically. I was getting them 10-20 times a day right after sugery. Now im not sure how long its been since ive seen one. Over a month i guess. I believe they are caused by the vacum assembly being pressed down onto eye with to much pressure. Im sure this problem has been adressed by now. They are no big deal!

In best old timer voice, ""Best Go'ht Dam Money" i ever spent." I love it, i love the freedom. No longer am i slave to how clean or scratch free my lenses are. Or if my eyes are gonna fog up during temperature/humidity changes. Its all over man. I just fall asleep on couch, and wake up with nothing jabbing me in the hip, telling me that nap just cost me $100.00 plus. I bend right the hell over, and my eyeballs "never" fall to the ground. My push up finger is so bored.

I cant stress enough to all of you, that the benefits of Lasik are so worth the price you pay. I can see better then i have ever seen before. i went back to work, and started being the first one to spot stuff during searches like i never could. No blinders to limit vision. Wide open view. Its hard to re-train your brain that you can actually see things out of the corner of your eye.....in focus.