Laser eye treatment

Jadawin

The 20/20 scale is based upon average eyesight. 20/15 means you can see at 20 feet what the average person can see at 15 feet.

I was blessed with excellent vision for the vast majority of my life. I had 20/15 in the left eye and 20/18 in the right eye.

Now approaching my mid 40's I have 20/22 in the left eye and 20/25 in the right eye.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever heard of the See Clearly Method? I always hear advertisements about it on the radio. Its supposed to be good for people who stare at a screen all the time. It exercises you eye muscles or something.

OceanSeasforme: LASIK hasn't been around until the 90s, must have been PRK or something then. With LASIK, the nightvision glares only appear if you have a pupill that is that big in the dark that it is actually bigger than the treated surface of your cornea. So you partially see with your "old" surface and partially with your treated one. I am lucky, I have very small pupills and in fact I had glares and halos before the treatment and now they are gone!

Shinobi: My main problem was astigmatism! It's treatable if within normal prescriptions. Some say that's around -5, some say -7/8. I had -4.5!

Oh, and the costs... here in the UK there is a company called Optimax, which has a lot of local clinics. And they are quite cheap compared to others (like Ultralase). But the best thing is: the OWNER of Optimax thinks that it's a shame to have unused time in his clinics, so he's selling treatment within that time even cheaper - ON EBAY! After you bought it, you'll get some possible days for consultation and aftercare and can choose. EPI-LASEK (directly on the surface, painfull, takes days to recover) is sold on Ebay at £795 and you can upgrade to LASIK (painless, almost instant recovery) for £1190. That includes all costs for BOTH (!) eyes including consultation and aftercare. And that's what I did, bought EPI-LASEK on Ebay and upgraded.

In the end I only paid half the money because I had only one eye treated, the right eye isn't that bad and wasn't very suitable, so the doctor said, we should keep it how it is. So they aren't not after the money, they really care!

I paid £60 consultation and £535 for the treatment of my left eye. What a bargain!

Angry, the lastest tech is LASIK with wavefront. Which is a little bit better than normal LASIK, because it creates kind of a 3D map of your cornea and during treatment, it will be shaped as good as possible, which will give some patients a vision that is better than natural one, because even healthy eyes have some irregular shapes... but I heard it's only 5% of the patients that really will have some big advantage of wavefront.... or are you waiting for something like LaForges Visor? And then overclock it? :shake:

lol im gonna overclock the LASIK laser with phase-change and BH-5 before I go under the laser itself heh

my feeling is this

my eyes are the most important body part (yes, even more important than THAT part).

We humans use mostly vision to react to the world around us. We are strong in all senses, but we rely on vision the most. Especially those that grew up with eyes that worked!

Imagine the horror of having some surgery done on your eyes and you lost your sight, or something just as bad. It would crush your whole world, and you'd have to change your life. Even a malpractice suit or such, no matter how big, would make losing your eyesight any better (money is good but if you can't see what you are spending it on...)

so i figure i can deal with glasses a few more years...I've lived with them and contact lenses this long (and can't wear contacts anymore...they are just too bothersome). In another few years the technology will be even better and possibly cheaper.

In the end, it will probably be always that way with me...something as important as my eyes I just don't know if i trust someone else cutting/shaping them, so i will always be waiting for that new technology or cheaper prices etc. Which is ok with me i suppose...but I can dream about getting my eyes fixed (and as long as i can dream I'm ok with that too i suppose)

Lasik works for a lot of people. I was considering it and now I kind of backed off. I am 42 and have been nearsighted for years. I asked my eye doctor (who was wearing glasses) about lasik. He told me that if your younger say 18~25 and have it done you should enjoy 10+ years of good vision. When you hit 40+ usually you will need some type of corrective lens for reading or other problems. An option was having one eye corrected for distance and the other for close objects. Sounds a little funky. The eye doctor I spoke to could have it done for free but he chooses to stick with glasses. I shoot highpower service rifle and I notice my vision problems while trying to focus on the front sight post and the target. You loose your depth perception. I do know of two people that have had lasik with positive and negative results. The positive outcome was from a friend who had bad vision and the formation of a cataract. They performed the lasik procedure and installed new lenses in each eye. He has 20/10 vision and zero problems. At night if light shines in his eyes they reflect black off the implanted lenses inside the eye. Looks evil! The other person had moderate vision problems and had lasik. Now they have 2 new problems. Their long distance vision and close vision is not as sharp but midrange is better. They are not really happy and still trying to get it corrected. I still think about lasik but lenscrafters can hammer out new glasses in an hour!

Well Jadawin, my Right Eye Prescription is -2.50 and my Left Eye Prescription is -2.25.

Currently i pay £10 a month on a contact lens scheme. I get those thin monthly disposable lenses that you can wear all day. £10 a month covers the lenses, all the cleaning solutions, check ups & insurance for new lenses in case i lose or rip one and any glasses i want i can get half price. That costs me £120 a year.

How much is the laser surgery now? Its about £600 per eye isn't it?

They gave me free trial of those contacts you can wear all day and sleep in and just change monthly a couple of years ago, those are great, but quite a bit more expensive. But it would be nice to be able to ditch lenses & glasses altogether.

If you have serious eye problems they are a god send if you can correct you vision with contacts or glasses it is worth it if you find a very experienced doc. Like anything the number you do and how long you have done it really pays of with good results- some laser surgery machines are better than others too. One of our local guys did some of the development work so if you were in KC it would be a no brainier. I have 20 20 and I would be tempted if I had the cash to go to the good place. Many sports people go for the same reason. You can do it on a tax deferral program so you are not taxed on the money. I am hitting that time in your life where your eyes go bad too but I am still heavily into sports of a sort.

I had LASIK done on both eyes about a year ago. Before that I had a pretty bad astigmatism in both eyes. The LASIK procedure I had done was with the wavefront mapping, where they actually map your eye before correcting. I'm now 20/20 in my left eye and 20/15 in my right one. I highly recommend it.

There is a new laser surgery for nearsightedness.

Also, if you are reading and typing 4 hours after surgery, stop it! You should rest your eyes for about a day to let them heal!!!!

CJ