What advantages does CPU VID Special Control give?

Let's say I set CPU VID to 1.525v and leave Special Control on Auto - that's a straight 1.525v.

On the other hand, let's say I set CPU VID to 1.350v and set Special Control to 113% - that's also 1.525v.

So, what's the difference? Why not just give the option to set CPU VID above 1.550v, then get rid of the Special Control?

Apart from the fact that CPU VID Special Control enables voltages above 1.550v, what other advantages does it give?

For example, will it enable higher overclocks?

I just don't see the reasons for this option in the first place, so I need someone to enlighten me!

AG stated that in testing it seemed to increase stability on his rig, so then he used it on another rig and it seemed to increase stability there as well compared to just straight voltage settings.

YMMV though.

AG stated that in testing it seemed to increase stability on his rig, so then he used it on another rig and it seemed to increase stability there as well compared to just straight voltage settings.

YMMV though.

Interesting... I did wonder whether that was the case.

I couldn't work out why some people are using low CPU VID in combination with Special Control, when they could've just used a straight CPU VID setting on its own.

Great question, I wonder the difference as well

Would it be better to set a low core volatge and use the special to bring it up to where you want or the other way around???

Well, what do you use? You seem to have a nice overclock there.

Its been tested by a few people..

I dont think it really has proven what the actual difference is.. But its been said to be more stable when using a lower vid and then add more special to get your desired vcore..

Its been tested by a few people..

I dont think it really has proven what the actual difference is.. But its been said to be more stable when using a lower vid and then add more special to get your desired vcore..

not been proven but it mayu work for some. obvoiusly worked for me. i'm able to prime 8hrs (still going) with 2.55ghz that was never able to be done before... maybe it's also because i changed my ram timings a bit with different configs. i dunno but i think ti was part of this too.

not been proven but it mayu work for some. obvoiusly worked for me. i'm able to prime 8hrs (still going) with 2.55ghz that was never able to be done before... maybe it's also because i changed my ram timings a bit with different configs. i dunno but i think ti was part of this too.

What I meant by not proven is that its not known exactly why it works better but it does for some.. Ive applied my vcore this way ever since I heard about it so I cant really say if it helped.. But hey im a follower of things that work..lol.. :)

Well, what do you use? You seem to have a nice overclock there.

I am using 1.425 + 123% or about 1.75v for now. Once I find how far I can go with my chip, I'll see if I can bring the voltages back down

I am using 1.425 + 123% or about 1.75v for now. Once I find how far I can go with my chip, I'll see if I can bring the voltages back down

Thats ALOT of voltage for a 90nm cpu.. what type of cooling are you using ?

Thats ALOT of voltage for a 90nm cpu.. what type of cooling are you using ?

hum... I didn't think they were that high from looking in the OC database

I'm now running an XP-90, duing load my cpu temps are steady at 53c