What advantages does CPU VID Special Control give?

This is an old thread but has anyone further *proven* this? I seem to have better luck using the special but it could be some other factors.

Guest Crusader

Interesting stuff, I always thought CPU Special Vid was to give you voltages that are more finely tuned to what you need as opposed to the selectable voltages.

hum... I didn't think they were that high from looking in the OC database

I'm now running an XP-90, duing load my cpu temps are steady at 53c

No offense but that is just dumb. Why run your chip 24/7 at the abolute max temp? For all you know the temp is being measured wrong and your chip is slowly frying.

I played with overclocking at the same net voltage made up either by just core voltage or by lower core and using special on top.

There was not a single MHz of overclocking difference, and my DMM says I get what I say I want precisely.

I tested that with two CPUs, although I don't remember which ones, I think my CABYE Opteron and my Venice.

There was not a single MHz of overclocking difference, and my DMM says I get what I say I want precisely.
I wouldn't expect there to be a difference. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
This is an old thread but has anyone further *proven* this? I seem to have better luck using the special but it could be some other factors.

Some MSI boards have this as well. My old Neo2 Plat's would make fine use of the feature.:)

I can't find it right now, but there is a post(MSI Forums?) postulating rather knowledgeably of

MB circuits in setting voltages and the advantages to "adding' in this fashion.

.. Rick