NF4 SLI-DR w/ San Diego 3700+: New Build Begins...[MODEM ALERT]

I was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error a lot and so, I read in the forums that disabling external cache while installing Win XP helps...but hit is taken on the bandwidth...

If you search this forum with "external cache" you will see what I mean...

Thanks,

Rex

Never heard anything like this. That tells you have other issues. You should try my memory settings. Sounded like this was the first time you actually did a fresh Win XP installation. Keep trying and there is a lot to learn.

P.S. Try 623-2 bios. 623-3 was no go for my system.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...045&postcount=3

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error a lot and so, I read in the forums that disabling external cache while installing Win XP helps...but hit is taken on the bandwidth...

If you search this forum with "external cache" you will see what I mean...

Thanks,

Rex

I hope this isn't too far off topic,but does that bios support your CPU?

I hope this isn't too far off topic,but does that bios support your CPU?

Based on the screenshots, he flashed to 623 yesterday. I really like your approach (e.g. screenshots, updates etc.). They helped others who have been trying to help you.

This is perfectly normal. This is what a fresh Win XP installation is supposed to be (default desktop).

Are u absolutely sure suio? Because I have installed XP on the same comp two days back and it displayed my computer, my documents, network places, internet explorer etc. on desktop...and of course, recycle bin. I know for a fact Windows 2000 shows that.

Also, why am I not able to install any software?...I will be back home in 3-4 hours and then I will be able to share a few pictures with you so you will have a visual understanding of the situation....

Thanks.

Rex

Never heard anything like this. That tells you have other issues. You should try my memory settings. Sounded like this was the first time you actually did a fresh Win XP installation. Keep trying and there is a lot to learn.

P.S. Try 623-2 bios. 623-3 was no go for my system.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...045&postcount=3

623-3 bios never gave me any bsods so far...but, winxp installation did not go well. Also, this is the first time i am installing winxp and first time i am building a computer..i installed win2k all the time. point in fact, yesterday on my old laptop but, never xp.

in any case, i bet on you guys to take me thru. :)

- rex

I am not sure how many different versions of XP installation CDs out there. I have four versions (MS XP Home, Dell XP Home, MS XP Pro and MS XP Pro Corp), after a successful installation, there is one icon on the desktop. It is the recycle bin at the lower right corner. If the installation is not completed successfully, you may have all icons on the desktop. I encountered this problem before.

You need administrator privileges to install certain applications. I don't know how you set it up during the installation and how you log into the system.

Hello,

See if this helps.

Right mouse on your start menu >Properties.

Go to the Startmenu TAB

And tick classic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1750&stc=1

Sharp,

Thanks for the picture. This is a setup option for the startup menu (not the desktop).

Regards,

No Internet explorer on desktop but I do have start menu and have all the icons on it, ie, my computer, my docs, internet explorer etc. Desktop has only recycle bin. I can't install any software and I think the problem is authority...I will see what I did different....

Tonite will be a long nite w/ Win XP..

Thanks,

Rex

I am not sure how many different versions of XP installation CDs out there. I have four versions (MS XP Home, Dell XP Home, MS XP Pro and MS XP Pro Corp), after a successful installation, there is one icon on the desktop. It is the recycle bin at the lower right corner. If the installation is not completed successfully, you may have all icons on the desktop. I encountered this problem before.

You need administrator privileges to install certain applications. I don't know how you set it up during the installation and how you log into the system.

You are Uber God! I guess you are right!! I need to chat w/ you tonight about account priviledges...I bought the CD new a week back and its very different from the other cds I have seen. Also the logo while startup say Windows XP only but everywhere else it says professional. Whereas, 2 of my laptops have WinXP and both say professional at startup.

But, I do know if pro version as everything else inside is pro...

Thanks,

Rex

Hello,

See if this helps.

Right mouse on your start menu >Properties.

Go to the Startmenu TAB

And tick classic.

Will try that tonite too....if suio is right then classic should give me all the icons..right?

Thanks,

Rex

Will try that tonite too....if suio is right then classic should give me all the icons..right?

Thanks,

Rex

No I didn't say that. Neither option will give you the icons on the desktop. You will have to create them manually and some applications do create desktop icons for you. Once again, I don't have the latest Win XP installation CD. Things may have changed. Anyway, I don't think it is a big deal to have those desktop icons. You can get them from the startup menu or create shortcuts for them on the desktop.