NF4 SLI-DR w/ San Diego 3700+: New Build Begins...[MODEM ALERT]

Win XP installation should be lightening fast (less than 20 minutes?). I believe most people get about 2500-3500 MB/sec for memory bandwidth. Mine is just over 3000 MB/sec.

Whoa!! 3Gb/s? Let me install Everest and get the SPD Screenshots right away then.. hang on for a minute...I'll be back.

:)

Rex

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the screenshot of memetest that's currently running: 970MB/s for memory..is that okay?

IMG_0263.jpg

Rex

Well, something is not right here. Here are my memtest86+ results:

L1 Cache: 20661 MB/s

L2 Cache: 4923 MB/s

Memory: 3077 MB/s

Why did you disable CPU external cache? I am sure this is the cause of low bandwidth.

Hello,

That version of memtest might not like his CPU core,

A link for memtest v1.60

http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60/memte...1.60.floppy.zip

A link for Everest Home edition

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

SUIO, you said most people get 2500MB/s-3000MB/s, in Everest?

That seems too low for the READ score.

READ = ?

WRITE = ?

Latency = ?

Sharp,

If you go back to some of Rexian's screenshots, he had CPU external cache disabled in the bios. Don't understand why this will help Windows XP installation.

Pay attention to details.

Guys,

I disabled external cache as I had too many problems with XP Installation...as suggested by a few on this forum. Here is a link.... however, XP is still giving me problems. Before going into that, here are memtest shot with external cache enabled with Sharp's version of memtest:

Pic 1:

IMG_0268.jpg

Pic 2:

here are memtest shot with external cache disabled with Sharp's version of memtest:

IMG_0265.jpg

Pic 3:

here are memtest shot with external cache enabled with DFI's version of memtest that's included in 6/23/05 bios:

IMG_0267.jpg

Thanks Suio....Clearly the bandwidth improved a lot with enabling the ext. cache. I am sure with fine tuning the settings in DRAM Config I will be coming close to 3Gb/s. No RMA situation.....Right?

Now, onto my XP dillemma...I initially setup XP with 3/10/2005 BIOS and man, did I have BSOD galore..!! PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL were frequenting my screen.

Then after chatting w/ Suio I decided to install Everest software to get the screenshots and Billy Gates closed the XP on me asking me to activate it...duh! I did not want to activate that crappy installation and so, I decided to do a clean install again..

This is what I did:

1. Booted up with XP Boot CD from Bootdisk.com

2. FDISK and made C: primary and active DOS Partition.

3. Rebooted.

4. Formatted C:

5. Rebooted with WinXP CD formatted to NTFS.

6. WinXP Installed w/ no problem......(with same BIOS setup shown in the pictures in my earlier post...external cache disabled and no SHADOW)

7. After watching the longest commercial ever done for any software product, I got to see the green meadows....and guess what! no icons on desktop apart from recycle bin!! :confused:

I tried to refresh desktop and no...nothing!! :confused:

Anyway, I wanted to see if its just messing w/ me or its a foober..well no software could be installed..

Man...now that uber sucky situation here...will appreciate help/suggestion as usual.

Hello,

I am 100% sure that I linked to memtest86+ v1.60. (not the screenshots you said, v3.2).

If you are creating only 1 partition, you do not need to use FDISK.

Just let WINXP format the drive.

When you said no ICONS, are you sure you just have the recycle bin?

Is Internet exploerer there.

No icons but do you have a startmenu?

Hello,

I am 100% sure that I linked to memtest86+ v1.60. (not the screenshots you said, v3.2).

Interesting, I got the file from the link you gave me. It kinda surprised me to see 3.2 version...I will double check when I return home from work.

If you are creating only 1 partition, you do not need to use FDISK.

Just let WINXP format the drive.

When you said no ICONS, are you sure you just have the recycle bin?

Is Internet exploerer there.

No icons but do you have a startmenu?

No Internet explorer on desktop but I do have start menu and have all the icons on it, ie, my computer, my docs, internet explorer etc. Desktop has only recycle bin. I can't install any software and I think the problem is authority...I will see what I did different....

Tonite will be a long nite w/ Win XP..

Thanks,

Rex

One question why do you have external cache disabled in teh BIOS? Isn't that your L2 cache?

I was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error a lot and so, I read in the forums that disabling external cache while installing Win XP helps...but hit is taken on the bandwidth...

If you search this forum with "external cache" you will see what I mean...

Thanks,

Rex

No Internet explorer on desktop but I do have start menu and have all the icons on it, ie, my computer, my docs, internet explorer etc. Desktop has only recycle bin. I can't install any software and I think the problem is authority...I will see what I did different....

Tonite will be a long nite w/ Win XP..

Thanks,

Rex

This is perfectly normal. This is what a fresh Win XP installation is supposed to be (default desktop).