NF4 Ultra D> Standby and Hibernation

Hello All,

I've got 2 problems with my rig that I'm hopeful someone will be able to help with. Firstly whenever i got into standby upon resume my voltages are way off and my overclock is often screwy anyway to fix this or just don't use standby? Second, when i hibernate my pc completes the hibernation procedure shuts off and powers right back on. This seems to be a common problem but i can't find an answer on the boards.

Thanks

Mike

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you come from stand by your sensor reading will be all messed up. Just check your temps and you will se what I am talking about... It is known problem with dfi nf4...

You can always check your voltages with DMM if you want to be sure...

Hibernation worked ok for me (I only tried it a couple of time)...

• 1 month later...
Hello All,

I've got 2 problems with my rig that I'm hopeful someone will be able to help with. Firstly whenever i got into standby upon resume my voltages are way off and my overclock is often screwy anyway to fix this or just don't use standby? Second, when i hibernate my pc completes the hibernation procedure shuts off and powers right back on. This seems to be a common problem but i can't find an answer on the boards.

Thanks

Mike

Same here, hibernation does not work correctly, it turns itself back on after the computer goes into hibernation and if I standby, it wakes up and all fans go to max and do not go back to normal until I reboot. DFI, what is up with this? Known issue?

I did get a response from them:

" Sir I suggest you re-write email to include a complete list of parts and pieces in system configuration and email it to HERE as that is in Taiwan where the bios writers actually work from. They will need a complete system breakdown in order to duplicate and try and patch. Thank you.

PS: you can continue to CC HERE so that I at least know that you have established communication over there sir.

Please use *Reply All* option when communicating with tech support.

I do not know if I can "wait" for a bios/driver update and I am in my 30 day return policy, I might just return it. But anyone else that would like to send the details of your system to DFI so they can duplicate it, be my guest.

Jim,

I don't know if you can wait either but I know what you will not be waiting on the NEXT TIME you post my email addresses in an open forum and start the flood of crap and spam that you uncaring guys do about 5 or 6 times a year until the last time AG had to come in and clean up a post and remove the email addresses from posts SO that the email bots and ferrrets do not just KILL our mailboxes > YOU will not be waiting on leaving the forum> I willl show you the door. I am sorry or I did not know does no good when it takes from 2 weeks to nearly 3 months to undo what unknowing and uncaring users create. Hours of adjusting spam filters in my case and having to use a spam filter because of whatever you were thinking or not thinking about in the first place.

In fact AG and I go thru the forums ALL THE TIME and redo peoples' own posts/threads to hide the email address behind coding to save them from their ownselves.

You could have paraphrased and said that no hibernation features could be addressed without full system specs reported to bios writers in Taiwan and that would have been sufficient.

One more time for all of you that never seem to know or care> do not put email address in open forum. Oh I guess you can put YOUR OWN there but it better not be somone elses.

RGone...

• 2 months later...

Have the Hibernation reboot issue as well, seems to happen when you connect your keyboard via PS/2. I had mine connected via PS/2, but my sleep button was not working in XP, when searching the MS knowledge base it said that a keyboard must be connected via USB for the sleep button to be recognized. Byt when connecting the keyboard via USB i could not use the keyboard to wake or power up the PC (regardless of the USB 5v jumper settings) so i plugged my keyboard back in the PS/2 port, my sleepbutton kept working, but when assigning hibernation to the sleep button, it keeps on rebooting. S3 suspend on the sleep button works though and i vcan still power up my PC via the keyboard. It's a bugger that hibernation does not work.

• 2 months later...

#1 some of you guys still don't read the rules and make a signature with proper system specs

if you don't, or refuse to do so, you will not get any help from anyone in the forum.

it is that simple. We've educated users here over the last 18 months to provide us with proper information so that we may help you and even force new registered users to make a signature and yet somehow some of you still skirt this and demand that we help you.

we will not.

it is that simple.

you can read and follow the rules or you can seek help elsewhere (and when you email official tech support, the very first thing we will ask you is your complete system specs so you won't be able to skirt this by going that route either.

#2 as far as I know, Oskar never designed this board to go into hibernation or into standby. This is a PURE overclocking board.

it was designed from the VERY FIRST IDEA to be nothing but an overclocker. It was designed purely to be a rock solid overclocking board. Since that is what the design was for, some things had to be sacrificed.

This is true of ANY product that is designed for a specific use.

why do sports cars not ride as soft and quiet as a luxury car? because sports cars have to have certain tires and suspensions that allow it to handle like a sports car...and luxury cars do not have these tires nor suspensions.

why do sports cars usually get worse gas mileage?

because they are designed to go fast fast fast and get there as quickly as possible, so they have bigger engines that eat more fuel.

why do SUV's get worse gas mileage?

because they were designed to carry lots of stuff. They were not designed as fuel-efficient economy deathtraps, they were designed to be big workhorses that could go somewhat offroad but also carry all of your camping and hunting equipment.

you get the idea

there's still this strange idea from users that they bought a super overclocking board that was designed to do nothing but overclock until their private parts glowed in the dark yet they think that the board should be able to do all the things that vanilla, plain, non-overclocking, boring, standard boards should do.

this is so alien to most of us that we still have trouble understanding why people think that their super mega giant overclocking monster board should have all the same options and capabilities that a boring, vanilla, weak overclocker board does.

why does the Lanparty board have 25+ DRAM settings yet all the boring, normal boards have only 5-10?

why does the Lanparty board have crazy voltage options to overclock until your mom's house burns down 3 states away yet boring vanilla boards only have normal, low-end voltage options?

because the Lanparty boards were designed from the first initial idea stage all the way through final production to overclock until your underwear started smoking.

And like anything that is designed for a specific purpose, you have to sacrifice some 'useless' options to gain the 'awesome options'.

useless doesn't mean useless to everyone, it means useless to the functions of the board. And hibernation and suspend are either useless or interfere with the super mega overclocking options that the Lanparty boards are designed to do.

now

don't go taking this as I'm calling you (anyone reading this) stupid or anything like that.

what I am doing is trying to explain, for the hundredth time, that certain functions just don't work when overclocking, and certain functions just don't work because of the design nature of the board.

you can argue all you want about whatever, but the simple, honest truth, is that some functions are crippled or downright disabled because they either interfere with the major function of the board (overclocking ability) or cause some serious side effects that might be harmful to your equipment.

some solutions (and they are pretty simple solutions honestly) are

A. turn off the computer when not using it

B. don't use hibernation (see #A)

C. don't use standby (see #A)

D. instead of hibernation or standby, just have Windows shut the monitor off after a certain amount of time and let the computer idle (this is what I do myself)

@Angry_Games

Overclocking and using standby/hybernate is not a good idea, I agree with you on that.

But, if you're a regular user you might expect for thing that are supported to work as they should/are claimed to:

untitled29bk.th.gif

The fact is that if you use *suported* suspend features of the DFI board (if you get them to work at all) "hardware monitor" functions will not work properly (even if you're *not* overclocking and are using official ITE software from the DFI CD)! Suspend won't work properly under *any* circumstanses.

If these boards don't support those features and if Oskar never designed this board to go into standbywhy put it in the manual and say is is supported?

The bottom line is if you don't support something that's fine - sacrificing some 'useless' options to gain the 'awesome options' is fine by me.

But is DFI claims it is supported (page 9 of the manual) than make it work - otherwise you're just misleading you customers.

I realise that most of the DFI user couldn't care less about "useless" options (as you call them) but some do and they *payed* for them. Yeah, they got the best overclocking board for their money but that is not an excuse!

A car analogy :) :

You're buying a SUV. Now, you know this type of car wastes a lot of gas and energy. The SUV you're after is the best in its class. You decide to buy it becouse it is the best (it can carry more stuff than any other SUV, ...) - the fact that it has some extra features (advertised by the manufacturer!!) help confirm your opinion- eg. this model reduces air polution by 10% and comes with a preinstalled energy saving air conditioning. So you buy it.

Later on you realise that it doesn't produce 10% less air polution and the air conditioning is not working as well. You check your manual and see that you did indeed buy a car with those features. You realise (on the manufacturer's message board :) ) that you can enable those features but if you do some of the SUV features won't work as well - motor oil, motor temperature indicator and speed indicators will show incorrect values (thus seriously decreasing your car safety!). You express your concerns to the manufacturer.

Now, if you get a reply like

"Well, you didn't really expect a SUV to have those features, did you?. But the SUV is still one of the best in it's class, so you should be happy!"

you wouldn't be to happy, would you! After all you payed for those features!

I don't beleve this problem with the DFI mobo will ever be fixed. And I don't really care becouse I never use them. So why did I wrote this long post (well, shorter than Angry's :) )? Becouse I payed for *all* of the features listed in the manual, not just the overclocking ones!

I wonder is the suspend/resume is working on the expert board, and if those features are listed under it's feature list?