Bios -1,-2,-3 / final answer which is for which

Not sure if you realize it, but AG is employed by DFI.

The DFI is an overclocker's motherboard. Therefore, they have a different mindset when it comes to things like bioses. A plethora of new bioses is a good thing. They are thankfully releasing new and better beta bioses all the time, which are tweaked for various types of RAM.

DFI also has the same type of release bioses as the other motherboard manufacturers. If you go to the official DFI website http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bio..._FLAG=A&SITE=NA , you will see that only 3 official bioses have been released (125, 318, 623-3).

CJ

I was also amazed at the number and frequency of bios releases. For us who have had only had Asus and Abit boards in the past, and done very little overclocking, it seems overwhelming. But you make a very good point, this is an overclockers board. To flash to a new bios with new tweeks and settings once a week, or once a day, I'm sure is heaven to the overclockers. For me I will stick with the official releases and know with all the people who done all the testing and debugging they should really good.

Think of it this way.... They could issue one vanilla bios that would work for everyone but not ge the best performance depending on your ram.

OR

They could create a few bioses specifically for performance ram designed to give you the edge.

It is up to us to start with what we think is best and then test from there with OUR ram. So, start with what AG said and ignore other sites UNLESS the user has your exact RAM, and maybe even CPU.

DFI, AG and Rgone should not be penalized because they are catering to the OC'er in all of us. I for one would like to thank them for this...

Back in the day, Iwill was doing this with their KK266 board. That is where I firt met my man Rgone!

Quad

Thanks very much all of you for taking the time to post.

I got absolutely nowhere with this post except to be mildly flamed,told info I knew & asked by A G why I did'nt believe what he had to say..... wow

Subject lost people. You missed the point.

"why ask then if you aren't going to believe anything I say?" ... A G ... ?

I never ever said I did'nt believe you bud. I followed your advice every time you gave it. I run the -2 bios just like you said & it works great. but... sorry; you missed it too.

this post is spinning off in a direction of it's own

what a trip..........lol

The real point of my post is ..... Why .... is .... there ..... different .... opinions ....?

Probably because there was no official word for quite a while. Most of the original releases said that the -1 was based off of a certain RAM table, -2 another, and -3 a different one. I, for one, had no idea how to interpret that. Other people who knew enough to interpret it, but maybe not enough to interpret it correctly, came up with their ideas of what they supported the best. This is all conjecture.

The best answer is probably that no specific version is best for all of a certain type of RAM. For instance, -1 may be very good for most BH-5, but you may have some BH-5 that is slightly different from the norm and may like -2 better. That is why the suggestion of the senior members of this forum is to try them all out and see what works best for you.

CJ

Thanks for the post CJ4,

I do understand where you are comming from. Also, I do understand about the suggestions regarding to try the various dash bios to see what might work best per individual.

I agree with your summation: Conjecture, that's a key word in itself.

Perhaps the root of my beef is the other people/websites & whoever " decided " or were told by thier cousin or perhaps just plain " guessed " on what bios revision & dash does what.

You see, I do'nt claim to be the smartest guy in the world. But, I know how to fish for information on the web.

When I first noticed that there were so many bios revisions & then these were in turn " tailored " to fit different types of memory.. ? It made me scratch my head. I'm saying to myself "what, nobody does this kind of stuff "

As an "old dog " used to just an occasional bios rev/flash per board, flags go up & you wonder what the heck is this all about.

To anyone who has spent years with other board manufacturers like others & myself; this " blasting out " of new revisions is unprecidented.

To the point.... I got very interested in these revision & the dash this & dash that per this & per that. The more I searched the web the more I found how many different people had different opinions on what did what & with what......

On the other hand; if you never had or had very little experiance with other motherboards & thier manufacturers you might/would tend to take what goes on with the DFI Land Party as the norm.

Which, to anyone of you out there reading this who has played with computers & are now building computers for the first time...... this is not normal by any standards.

The point of my original post was to get to the bottom of which information is " the most accurate ". And then perhaps have a header in the motherboard section so as to let noobs or anyone who wants to know to " look here for the right answers " .

With more & more people building thier own systems for the first time.... knowing/seeing where they can go to get " real answers " from the " right people " this bit of assurance goes a long way for those people who need to know the right answer the first time they go looking.

This kind of thing builds " confidence " Instead; you might get guys who goes " hmm i dunno who this A G & Rgone people are but my buddy told me that Techpowerup website is the bomb so i'll go there to get my answers...... & they would have been steered in the wrong direction.

Perhaps I'm just not one to shrug my shoulders & figure " i got mine so the heck with anybody else,let them figure it out"

These were just my thoughts guys. That's all. I'm writing a novel again so i'll stop now.

Proto