ActiveArmor for the NF4

Also if you do get one, and you get stuck PM me and I will give you my Email for proper help. :)

Thank you very much Cythrawl, I'll look for a Router this weekend and in the mean time leave the pc off, except when I'm using it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much Cythrawl, I'll look for a Router this weekend and in the mean time leave the pc off, except when I'm using it.

No problem.. After all this is a DFI Fourm not a Router support/help Forum :nod:

Just dont get a D-Link one.. I hate D-Link (hehehe)

1) Norton Anti-Virus can't get through the Firewall when I MANUALLY try the Live Update, but the auto update that runs in the background works flawlessly.

2) MS Outlook can not get through the Firewall either. When running the test, Outlook can see the pop and smtp servers, but when it goes to log onto them, it gets an error.

So ActiveArmor isn't letting either of these two programs get through - this problem may even be related. I have "allowed" permissions for just about every *.exe program associated with Outlook and Norton, but can't see to get either to work.

Try installing the most recent mobo drivers from nVidia web site:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp2k_6.53

It solved all of the problems I had (the main one was that once the program requested access to the net the firewall would not display allow/disallow dialog at all :mad: ). No problems since... Well, I also had to manually open some ports to get some online games to work nice...

Try installing the most recent mobo drivers from nVidia web site:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp2k_6.53

It solved all of the problems I had (the main one was that once the program requested access to the net the firewall would not display allow/disallow dialog at all :mad: ). No problems since... Well, I also had to manually open some ports to get some online games to work nice...

Still renders the system unstable in MOST cases. and it still not doing what its advertized to do.. Be a hardware firewall.

I have also tried the 64-bit version .. and it STILL crashes the PC. It really is the toss of a coin to get it working, and TBH thats just not acceptable.

(Plus the fact you STILL need software installed to use the HARDWARE firewall)

Still renders the system unstable in MOST cases.

Not for me :) Perfectly stable :) . Always on... I'll agree that 98% of those who tryed it couldn't get it working :(

and it still not doing what its advertized to do.. Be a hardware firewall.

I agree, that apache in the background sucks (14M Apache + 6M Apache + 7M nSvcIp + 5M nScvAppFlt + 3M nvsvc32 + 3M nSvcLog = 38M :eek: more or less, some of those might belong to nv GPU stuff I have running...).

However, my cpu utilization is now between 4-10% with Firefox, Skype, MBM, ICQ, some Intervideo tray ., logitech mouseware AND nvFirewall with active internet connection, and I like it that way :cool:

Not sure about the latest version but the earlier ones did leak RAM.

Disabling SSDP Discovery Service is supposed to help stabilty.

Still doesn't like P2P though (too many connections I think)

I could never get it to work with my VPN connection to my ex-job's Exchange Server (made Outlook crash).

I only left the defaults...

Well, I don't know anything about that as I don't use p2p much. However I am currently downloading something and everything looks ok. What should I be looking for (no disconnetions, speed looks ok, however only two sources I'm downloading from (but it is not nv fault))?

To be completly honest I can only remeber one or two user that reported they were happy wih nvFirewall (excluding me). 100-200 reported it is a piece of .. One out of hundread, as I said :rolleyes:

Not sure about the latest version but the earlier ones did leak RAM.

I could never get it to work with my VPN connection to my ex-job's Exchange Server (made Outlook crash).

it STILL leaks ram...................after a couple of days the nsvcip.exe process uses >100MB of ram (about 6MB on bootup)

ZoneAlarm software firewall is the best non-router firewall around if i remember right

personally i wont use them...i only use NAT routers with firewalls (D-Link DI-604 is a good inexpensive choice, as is the Linksys BEFR something-or-other, SMC, Netgear etc)

it STILL leaks ram...................after a couple of days the nsvcip.exe process uses >100MB of ram (about 6MB on bootup)

Didn't notice this... I'll try it today for >10h and see for myself... I'll report my findings tomorrow.