ActiveArmor for the NF4

There is a big benefit in running software and hardware firewalls. The hardware firewalls stop external hackers. The software firewall keeps a tab on who is sending what out from your PC; and will catch trojans or corporate data miners.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to thank Cythrawl for his help. Following some of his advice I set up a Linksys WTR54G router that I picked up at Best Buy (free with reward zone coupons!). The setup passed two online tests to check for vunerability (dsl reports and grc).

Check to make sure all my programs and games worked (which they did), so I think I'm good to go.

Now how do I uninstall ActiveArmor???

The Linksys WRT54G is an excellent choice. I have it and it works great.

I have the SPI firewall on the WRT54G enabled but I also use Windows firewall as well. I think it's a good idea to use both a software firewall and a hardware one in your router. I messed around with activearmor before but didn't like it and had some issues.

Make sure you are on the latest firmware for your router.

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=201

The Linksys WRT54G is an excellent choice. I have it and it works great.

I have the SPI firewall on the WRT54G enabled but I also use Windows firewall as well. I think it's a good idea to use both a software firewall and a hardware one in your router. I messed around with activearmor before but didn't like it and had some issues.

Make sure you are on the latest firmware for your router.

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=201

I personally dont use a software firewall and havent done for 6 months now. I have never been hacked, Virused, etc but then again my PC isnt on 24-7 either (I dont need an additional scource of heat in the room right now). Even though it wouldnt hurt to have at least the Windows firewall on as well. I tend to avoid third party stuff like Zone Alarm, Norton, Sygate. as they tend to take up resources and have annoying popups (Im an idiot user) crap that I just hate.. Yes I know you can turn them off, but still annoying. Plus the fact that they take up system resources, etc. and another thing I do is forward ports 139 and 445 to a non exisitant IP address on my network with the router which helps with all those "attacks" plus I close a lot of unneeded port on windows (all that crap that listens constantly)...

Theres a goof FAQ on it all here though, it really is up to the user's Preference I guess.

I too would be interested in the safest way to uninstall active armor.

Sometimes, it seems that when you uninstall software that is so tightly integrated into the OS, you get some weird problems or system instability.

Thanks!

Just wanted to thank Cythrawl for his help. Following some of his advice I set up a Linksys WTR54G router that I picked up at Best Buy (free with reward zone coupons!). The setup passed two online tests to check for vunerability (dsl reports and grc).

Check to make sure all my programs and games worked (which they did), so I think I'm good to go.

Now how do I uninstall ActiveArmor???

Glad to be of assistance :)

Go to control panel and add remove programs, and uninstall Nvidia Network Access Manager. :)

Then it will be done and dusted and gone forever!

I too would be interested in the safest way to uninstall active armor.

Sometimes, it seems that when you uninstall software that is so tightly integrated into the OS, you get some weird problems or system instability.

Thanks!

Its not that tightly integrated. 90% of the problems will be coming from it using APACHE server (god knows why it just doesnt use IIS which can be installed on XP as standard I'll never know).. Windows Apache server is nowhere near as good as it is on 'nix .. period..

Just uninstall it and you will be 99.9% all set

Just uninstall it and you will be 99.9% all set

How? There's no uninstall option in the start menu for ActiveArmor, nor is it listed in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the CONTROL PANEL.