2x 1024? Suggestions?

I want some 1T results. I could honestly care less about anything else...If I wanted 2T I could keep this cheap butt 2gb mushkin pc3200 green and call it a day. If you can run some 1T tests that would be nice.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AG, in your experence, how much real world difference will we see between 1T & 2T with the same RAM? :confused:

Change your ram to 2T and see the difference. I bet it ain't much in real world changes so to speak. :sweat:

zero

you can run benches and see the difference, less than 5%...but it is something you will ONLY notice in benches that measure something and give numerical results

i dropped from 2x512 @ 2880Mhz cpu speed to 4x512 @ 2400Mhz cpu speed and I cannot tell the difference at all....except in Battlefield2 where 4x512 allows me to run super high resolution with all the details @ High and AA @ 4x without accessing the pagefile at all.

but there is no performance difference to me...just the ability with 4x512 @ 2t to be always the first one in a map when the server changes maps, and don't have that annoying stutter for a while while the game caches all the textures etc.

remember guys...Integrated Memory Controller on the A64...this is why 2T and dividers do not give the massive performance penalties that it does on Intel P4/AthlonXP systems that utilize a separate memory controller hub. (Northbridge)

everyone needs to stop worrying about 2T with 4x512MB installed...it is the only way you will get the rig to boot and it won't affect performance unless you are so anal retentive that every last point in some synthetic benchmark is what your world revolves around (and while you are frustratedly fooling with such things, the rest of us are running 4x512 @ 2T and fragging dudes left and right and enjoying our rigs and not really sad at all that we might score 200 points less in some meaningless synthetic benchmark)

Thank you AG, I never knew that you could run 2T with about a 20% performance hit.

If 2X512MB clock to 250MHz 2-2-2-5 1T, will 4X512 clock to 250MHz 2-2-2-5 2T? :confused:

Depends on the ram.. But it will prolly be pretty close..

Im running my 4x512mb OCZ 3200rev2's @ 8-3-3-2.5 2T .. 264x11.. Once im done with my stability testing its time for some bf2 action..hehe..

:)

Im not worryed about the performance as much as being able to upgrade. I dont want 4 slots filled, I would rather run 4gb at 2T...

I tested BF2 today and OMG is it so smooth with 2gb...only 240x11 (203mhz mem) and I was blown away. I still have my video stock and @1600x1200 max everything was still smooth as butter

BF2 runs much much smoother with 2GB of memory for sure (i upgraded my rig and momma's rig for 2GB, and i can tell the difference on my brother's rig who has an NF3 250Gb with only 1GB of ram yet almost the same vid card and everything else we have)

again, you can run 2x1024MB @ 1T if you got good memory and a good cpu (X2 is good)

you can run 4x512MB / 4x1024MB @ 2T

but you aint gonna get 1T out of them....maybe when AMD comes out with a new revision of cpu it will be possible

Guest n64man120

Hey, just registered here, I'm from [H].

Anyways, I've got 2 1GB sticks of Crucial Value I'm working with getting my overclocks figured out. AG, you stated that since the memory controller is on die, 2T and the speed it runs at really doesn't make a difference. I've heard conflicting remarks about this, but the 2 people who said it doesn't matter, and the people who's oppinions I trust the most.

Anyways, are tight timings in general as unimportant as the other settings you stated above, when working with the A64 on die memory controller?

So far my gig sticks have done 225Mhz and 235Mhz on their own, and together they have pulled in 220Mhz at fairly relaxed timings. I've yet to see how tight I can make them.

Anyways, I've got 2 1GB sticks of Crucial Value I'm working with getting my overclocks figured out. AG, you stated that since the memory controller is on die, 2T and the speed it runs at really doesn't make a difference. I've heard conflicting remarks about this, but the 2 people who said it doesn't matter, and the people who's oppinions I trust the most.

It seems as though many people don't realize we are all mostly able to test this on our own. Relying on other people can only get you so far. If you are able to test the difference from 1T to 2T on your machine, then do it. See for yourself. As we all know, two machines are not exactly alike and what one person might get, may or may not carry over to your rig/setup.

I'm hooked on BF2, as some here seem also to be, and am looking at buying 2x512 PDP memory more for my rig.

I'd appreciate some feedback on wether is worthwhile doing it, even if my OC has to come down a bit on the MHz side and running 2T. Also, what would be a good BIOS since I'm still running 1902, the best one for my system until 310 came out. Stopped BIOS rolling since then :-