2x 1024? Suggestions?

4x512mb's with 2t work pretty well.. dont be so closed minded about 2t..

untitled1uq.jpg

270x112gig32mpass9mt.jpg

I feel this way.. When I want high scores for benching I put my bh5 in.. When I want 2gig of ram to play bf2 smooth then this is it.. ;)

GL with whatever you decide... :cool:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this weekend im going to order a 2x1gb set. Now I have to decide which one to buy. I have seen OCZ and Mushkin PC3200 kits and only one PC4000 kit from Crucial...are those my only options? I havn't been able to find any solid results on ANY of the kits. Can anyone point me in the direction of some ocing results and possibly an OCZ rep tell me what is under the hood of the sticks and what they can do?

With RAM currently the way it is, you can kiss your 255 fsb 2-2-2-6 timings good bye, since you must have 2T. Why don't you do some testing of your own with what you do on your machine switching from 1T to 2T and see just how it performs before claiming 2T is not an option.

I was going through the same dilemna and did my own testing.

Results here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...82&postcount=33

From those results, I will be going 4x512 at 2T and be damn happy. :nod:

Lets see I have...

OCZ Performance 2x1024 mb PC3200

Crucial 2x1024 mb PC4000

Kingston 2x1024 mb PC3200

Mushkin 2x1024 mb PC3200

I know the OCZ will do about 240 Mhz, but I haven't tested the rest yet.

Lets see I have...

OCZ Performance 2x1024 mb PC3200

Crucial 2x1024 mb PC4000

Kingston 2x1024 mb PC3200

Mushkin 2x1024 mb PC3200

I know the OCZ will do about 240 Mhz, but I haven't tested the rest yet.

hurry up and test! I want to hear the results of the crucial the most(or anything that can clock pc4000)

Heres some interesting info I found reguarding larger modules in an article about memory. Rather then try explain it and risk infering something I don't quite understand or know how it's applied to current technology (semi old article) I'll just summarize what it said.

Large DIMM's stack multiple chips. This increases the total load on the bus in the form of increased capacitance. If a pulse of voltage is sent through a circuit with a capacitance its signal will rise slowly and decay slowly. Capacitance in a circuit adds a delay in response Signals. The ability of the motherboard to overcome this is known as load driveing. One way to counteract capacitence is by adding a line driver (buffer). Another way to deal with this is is to lower the voltage of the signal. It takes less time for a signal to rise and fall if the voltage is lower.

Take it for what it's worth, it might be handy when thinking about how to tweak your mem

hurry up and test! I want to hear the results of the crucial the most (or anything that can clock pc4000)

I knew I'd get that from you guys. The memory is for a memory review I'm writing (AMD Zone). I should have more ram coming from Corsair, OCZ and A-Data. If somebody has a Centon contact, please forward it to me.

But since you guy's helped me out with my board problems (the system was built specifically to test memory), I did a quick and dirty "What's the Fastest Speed That Didn't make Windows crash using ClockGen." Ie, I clicked it up a mhz at a time till it crashed and recorded the last value. CPU was set to 8x and wouldn't be a limiting factor (checked it up to 315 with some other memory).

Mushkin 3-3-3-6 2T @ 3.0V = 267 MHz

Kingston 3-3-3-8 2T @ 2.8V = 259 MHz (Does not like more voltage, won't even post into Windows)

Crucial 3-3-3-8 2T @ 2.7V = 260 MHz (Does not like more voltage, won't even post into windows)

It wouldn't surprise me if Kingston and Crucial had the same memory chips, but I haven't pulled off the memory covers yet. You'll have to wait till I post my review to get the complete picture over various memory timings and voltages.

Mushkin 3-3-3-6 2T @ 3.0V = 267 MHz

Kingston 3-3-3-8 2T @ 2.8V = 259 MHz (Does not like more voltage, won't even post into Windows)

Crucial 3-3-3-8 2T @ 2.7V = 260 MHz (Does not like more voltage, won't even post into windows)

Uh oh Tony, What are you to do? :shake:

Uh oh Tony, What are you to do? :shake:

I didn't test the memory at 1T, that doesn't mean it won't run at 1T. The Command rate was my problem earlier that you guys helped me solve, it wouldn't let me run 1T at the default multiplier.