• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok

Try this

Go here

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Download and install startup control panel. and turn off all startup apps..

in ALL tabs (HKCU / Run, Run Once, HKLM Run, Startup User, Startup Common)

reboot and see if you get the same problem. if so, start Startup Control Panel again and see if anything has re-added itself.

If not, add each one by one and reboot until you find the culprit...

If something HAS re-added itself without you saying so then you have some kind of Malware installed on your system.

if not. then the only other thing you can do is try to do a fresh install (perferably on another partition if possible) and see if it STILL does it off a fresh install

I tried you way and two processes added themselves.

ctfmon.exe C:WINDOWSsystem32ctfmon.exe and

NvCplDaemon RUNDLL32.EXE C:WINDOWSsystem32NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

Do you think they are malicious?

Do you think they are malicious?

No, they're OK. The NV stuff is your video card tweaker, and ctfmon.exe is a part of the Text Services and Speech service. Up to you whether you want them running.

This is a driver problem. Certain drivers that are gobbling CPU will not show up in the task manager.

I'm having a hard time remembering how I solved this though. On a server I had, CPU was going nuts and I somehow isolated it to a network driver that was no good.

Sometimes you can isolate it using PerfMon, which is built into XP. Add a counter under Process > Cpu Time for every running process that you have.

Otherwise, remove drivers one at a time until the problem goes away.

Oh I just found more... add a Performance Object of "Thread", and add a counter for all of your threads. You'll see even more cpu usage detail. Perfmon is like Task Manager on steroids, and nobody ever uses it...

Task Manager sucks.

Oh I just found more... add a Performance Object of "Thread", and add a counter for all of your threads. You'll see even more cpu usage detail. Perfmon is like Task Manager on steroids, and nobody ever uses it...

Task Manager sucks.

Sorry for the thread hijack but our IT guy is no longer with my company and I've inherited that role. I know just enough to keep things goin for now ;) And of course for my own greedy self serving reasons I'd like to find out what can be safely eliminated from startup and if PerfMon is a good tool for that...

If you could PM me with some tips for using perfmon it would be mucho appreciated!!!!!

Again, sorry for the hijak :angel: