little cpu usage except for system idle process, which is fine. So why the cpu

usage is so high?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kronos

Do you have Windows Auto Update enabled?

Virus scan?

Spyware checker at boot?

Defrag?

This list can go on forever...

Something is running to make the CPU show 70%.

No, I don't have all of these. Last night it was fine and then I turn off my computer and this morning this problem occurred. Do you know if a hardware

problem like motherboard or cpu can cause this?

And you have sorted your processes by CPU Usage I'm guessing....

Never heard of a Mobo, or CPU causing high CPU usage. its usually 99.9% software... and usually nasty software at that..

have you ran a Spyware check (spybot S&D and L8st Adware)..

Run both of those and kill any buggies... also I would suggest getting a Virus checker and running that too..

Your hardware will almost never cause your CPU usage to increase. It is almost certainly software in nature. What process is using the CPU? You can check in task manager in the processes tab by clicking on the CPU column header twice to order it from greatest to least.

J

Your hardware will almost never cause your CPU usage to increase. It is almost certainly software in nature. What process is using the CPU? You can check in task manager in the processes tab by clicking on the CPU column header twice to order it from greatest to least.

J

There is nothing occupying cpu in task manager. That's the reason I wonder if it's a problem of hardware.

you might have some kind of trojan horse that inadvertently was installed on your computer. I have seen this type of problem before with unexplainable cpu usage and it turned out to be the blaster worm.

Not to panic you, but it could be a possibility.

There is nothing occupying cpu in task manager. That's the reason I wonder if it's a problem of hardware.

you need to select Processes TAB from the Task Manager and sort by CPU Usage (Time)... Task manager only shows the current tasks not the list of processes. so if you have nothing running (MSN Mesenger, Explorer etc) they wont show up on task manager

There will be plenty of Processes that are running. (around 30 I think now)

One of those processes will be taking up the CPU.. List it here..

I DO know that if you are running Symantec AV Corp V10 that takes a lot of CPU Time on boot, theres a reg fix on Symantec's site for it tho...

I have already sorted them that and system idle process is the one which has the highest cpu usage(99%). But that is fine right? I don't understand why it

still shows cpu usages is 70% under this situation.