I get electro shocked by my motherboard.

Sounds like a classic case of leaky bypass capacitors from the AC input to chassis, or leakage further into the supply from its solid-state multivibrator or regulator circuits, or their bypass (hash suppression) and noise suppression circuitry.

I have to agree with getting another supply, and NEVER...NEVER touch anything internally when powered off the AC mains, especially if barefoot on a concrete floor. You may not have been on a concrete floor, but the warning still applies. Leakage currents may still flow on various parts of the mobo, with enough voltage/current to fibrillate a weak heart, if your body is close enough to ground potential; especially dangerous if the components don't share a common ground as when "stuff" is not in a case.

Leave the touchy/feely stuff to the pros. ;-}

Charles

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first off voltage of any kind can have the required amount of amperage to kill you. think of it this way i have a 24vdc psu that has a max output of 50A which is way more then enough to kill you . as it was said before this also depends on many differant things. for instance if you hit a ground and a line with 2 fingers on the same hand the result would be the electrons will move in the path of least resistance... ie between the two fingers its not going to go from finger 1 on left hand to across your hart to finger 2 on left hand it will go directly to the point. as it was sait it takes less then .01 amps to kill you however this must go directly across the heart which will/could cause a irregular heart beat. ok now onto the subject of esd straps. you SHOULD NEVER use a ESD strap in a live circuit environment. all you are doing is creating a short. typical esd straps are supposed to read greater then 1 megohms however whats to say that yours isnt less? but you should always use a ESD strap when working with dead electronic circuits esp those containing silicon junctions ie diodes, fets and cpus. now onto the original topic. where exactly was this jolt felt ? on a sink connected to a fet? if so it could be a short on the fet causeing a discharge to the heatsink. or as the sinks are grounded it could be a feedback voltage on the ground plane itself. that can be caused from shorted caps fets or from psu's.

Current, measured in amps is what kills, not the voltage.

Voltage must create a circuit for the current to follow through.

It takes very little amperage to kill &

the amount of voltage required to complete a circuit varies depending upon resistance.

The resistance of the human body can vary greatly.

Are you sweating? Less resistance & the lower the voltage required to complete the circuit.

The bottom line is DO NOT TOUCH ANY VOLTAGE SOURCE OVER 24/36 VOLTS!

:angel:

It's the CURRENT, that is dangerous?No, that can't be true, I NEVER heard of that before...

The resistance of the human body DOES vary, especially with the different voltages (e.g. from one hand to one foot at 25V: 3250ohms, at 50V: 2625ohms, at 230V: 1350ohms)

It also varies if you're sweating or not, or if you are standing on some wet gras or on some dry carpet..but as I said, the current flowing through your body will be dangerous, when touching a voltage of 50V AC or 120V DC!!!If you're sweating and standing on some wet gras, the current will be even more dangerous!!

So, anything above 50V AC is dangerous! And that's why people who haven't learend how to deal with such things should never open e.g. a switching power supply like you have in your computer...or work on the electrical system inside the house and so on....

And that's why people who haven't learend how to deal with such things should never open e.g. a switching power supply like you have in your computer...

Do u think i did that intentionaly? Got the PSU ,connected everything,powered up..everything worked fine for a day,on a next day start to get the buzz,i just touched the 6800Gt heatsink to feel how warm it is and then "Bzzzz"....but again....when i was without shoes......ofcourse then i put some shoes on and stoped touching everything....shutdowned the pc and disconnected PSU....

Did u ever elecro shocked by the car battery ? Well the buzz felt even less shocking than that,maybe same i really can't explane how it felt...

Please don't blame me.....no PC should electroshock you even if you without shoes cleaning the dust from over the case or just moved it aside right?

Life is dangerous,u can also get killed by ur vaccum cleaner..no matter ur knowledge in electricity...

no, I didn't want to blame anyone, especially not you!!

I just wanted to show, that even "small" voltages of e.g. 50V AC can allready by dangerous...you did nothing wrong, you unplugged it and that was good!! so, sorry, I really didn't wanted to offend you!!

But I gotta quote this:

f you hit a ground and a line with 2 fingers on the same hand the result would be the electrons will move in the path of least resistance

I can't stop laughing again..."the electrons move in the path of the least resistance"?? That is WRONG!! ;-)

The larger amount will for sure flow through the least resistance, but if there is a larger resistance at the same voltage (so that the "small" and the "large" resistance are in parallel), there will be electrons flowing through BOTH resistors!! ;-)