NF4 Ultra-D> Drive Detection?

how do you have an OCZ Neopower 480??? to my knowledge there is no such thing

normally i would get on skype, but it is 2:25AM and my gf is sleeping as she has to go to work early and I've already done 16 hours today...not trying to be rude, but I've had a heck of a day (another 16h day for about the 50th day in a row i think)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a dissapearing dvd drive evey now and then... I have a plextor sata drive on sata3 sometimes when I boot up the bios doesnt detect it. Even when I get to my desktop I don't see it... What I then do is I shut down and after maybe my 2nd or 3rd attemp, Hello plextor.. it's detected again.. I wonder whats up.

is that NeoPower a true 24-pin psu? (I dont have any Antec psu's and not familiar with them other than they have a bad rep as being weak troublesome psu's, but again i dont have one so i can only guess at what they are really like)

What they are like is "real damn strong" ... I've got several, including 2 NeoPower 480s. Wouldn't power up with anything else.

ether.real, your machine should work regardless of the kind of drive setup. I would advice you, however, to pair up your hard drives on a channel and your opticals on the other. If you mix them you'll hurt the performance of your HD's since the ATA channel won't go faster than the speed the opticals work at.

Cheers

That > ""HD's since the ATA channel won't go faster than the speed the opticals work at."" < has been untrue now for some 4 years or so. Likely was back in the olden days but modern equipment finds it to be not so.

Now what is so and always well be is if you are reading a floppy drive to a hard drive; certainly the transfer is at the speed of the floppy itself but that is not what you are talking about.

RGone...

I have a dissapearing dvd drive evey now and then... I have a plextor sata drive on sata3 sometimes when I boot up the bios doesnt detect it. Even when I get to my desktop I don't see it... What I then do is I shut down and after maybe my 2nd or 3rd attemp, Hello plextor.. it's detected again.. I wonder whats up.

I see alot of people have problems with those plextor sata dvd drives. make sure you are not using the nvidia IDE drivers and flash to the latest firmware for the drive.

RGone is correct in his statement. But there are still some things you should be aware of.

If you have a PIO device on the same channel as a UDMA device the PIO device will slow the transfer rate.

I constantly have to go behind other builders that are using PIO mode optical drives "salvaged" from older rigs and change the configuration because they are not aware of this situation.

See the warning at the bottom of this page.

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref...confTiming.html

Ok, didn't knew UDMA drives had no problems with this. My information was clearly outdated.

I still have concerns about the issue, because I'm not sure every modern optical drive is UDMA capable. And, as ExRoadie pointed out, many people reuse older drives on newer systems, since the pace these things evolve at isn't so friggin' fast.

Thanks for the tip anyways RGone.

Cheers

I see alot of people have problems with those plextor sata dvd drives. make sure you are not using the nvidia IDE drivers and flash to the latest firmware for the drive.

I have the latest firmware and, no I don't use the nvidia IDE drivers... But I do think its the plextor cause I have my segate on sata1 and never have a problem with it.. maybe I should just get the IDE version of the drive..

is that NeoPower a true 24-pin psu? (I dont have any Antec psu's and not familiar with them other than they have a bad rep as being weak troublesome psu's, but again i dont have one so i can only guess at what they are really like)

Antec has had the best reputation among PSU manufacturers for years.

But since the days of their latest "big hit" with the true control 550, they seem not to be worried about the actual PSU race nor the enthusiast market, so there comes someone who never sold PSUs before like OCZ with a great product up their sleeves that becomes instantly famous, and the old good things get burried very deep in hardware's history annals just like it happens everytime a new great product comes and everyone just keeps talking about it.

In spite of Antec's latest lack of interest in the enthusiast market I wouldn't say their PSUs are seen nowhere far from high quality ones.

Maybe you confused Antec with Vantec, who used to make lous PSU announcements but every once in a while their products would not meet the expected quality :)

ether.real, your machine should work regardless of the kind of drive setup. I would advice you, however, to pair up your hard drives on a channel and your opticals on the other. If you mix them you'll hurt the performance of your HD's since the ATA channel won't go faster than the speed the opticals work at.

Cheers

I have always split them up for the reason of CD Copying. Used to be if you had your CD-ROM and CD-Burner on the same channel, you would have problems copying CDs, due to the lack of bandwidth on the channel.