NF4 Ultra-D> Drive Detection?

i dont see what hdd's you have...you need a detailed sig as explained in post#2 in the critical sticky

have you tried Cable Select? (assuming they are IDE drives from how you have them listed)

have you made sure none of the drives are showing up as CHS like i asked? tried them on Auto? LBA? tried different order (both hdd's on a channel and both opticals on a channel)?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to post the brand of drive as it is beginning to sound like WD drives and they have given users fits with EIDE for a few years now. And if it is truly 2 Cdroms and not a burner and Cdrom then you might consider dropping one of the Cdroms.

But more especially you need to get the drive makers utility and test the drives one at a time on the Primary Master position with nothing else plugged up. If both drive pass hook them up as master and slave on the Primary channel together. Put a single Cdrom on the Secondary channel and see if the board can boot or recognized the Primary Master Drive as being that and it with the O/s on it. If not you may have to reload windows. Also is the drive not dectected in Standard CMOS Features? If not then you likely need to rma the board. Vendor first if nearly new.

RGone...

i dont see what hdd's you have...you need a detailed sig as explained in post#2 in the critical sticky

added to sig

have you tried Cable Select? (assuming they are IDE drives from how you have them listed)

Have not used Cable Select. Will try CS in a moment.

have you made sure none of the drives are showing up as CHS like i asked? tried them on Auto? LBA? tried different order (both hdd's on a channel and both opticals on a channel)?

Drives are set to Auto as previously stated, and detect fine in BIOS and POST.

I have had the same problems with my MB detecting drives. It seems to finally be working. Make sure you have you master/slave settings set correctly. Try and boot without the CD drives connected (and make sure the hard drives and CD drives are on different IDE's) and see if it will detect the two hard drives alone. If not then try only the drive with operating system. Make sure the Hard drives are on IDE 1.

I have 3 hard drives and the system simply will not boot if I have the 3rd drive connected to IDE 2. Good board, but it still has some stability issues that need to be worked out.

You need to post the brand of drive as it is beginning to sound like WD drives and they have given users fits with EIDE for a few years now. And if it is truly 2 Cdroms and not a burner and Cdrom then you might consider dropping one of the Cdroms.

The boot drive is WD, as updated in my specs. I dont think it is the drive as this did not happen until I flashed the BIOS to 510-2. I dont want to re-flash to the older BIOS (1-25) because it had its own share of problems. (Mainly would not detect any drive except the WD but they would all work fine in Windows)

But more especially you need to get the drive makers utility and test the drives one at a time on the Primary Master position with nothing else plugged up. If both drive pass hook them up as master and slave on the Primary channel together. Put a single Cdrom on the Secondary channel and see if the board can boot or recognized the Primary Master Drive as being that and it with the O/s on it. If not you may have to reload windows. Also is the drive not dectected in Standard CMOS Features? If not then you likely need to rma the board. Vendor first if nearly new.

RGone...

I really dont think it is the HDs, as this didnt happen until I flashed BIOS. I have booted the boot drive (the WD) by itself, and tho it detects the drive fine, it will not boot off it, unless I tell the BIOS to boot off CD.

if you arent down with 5/10-2 (you DID clear cmos hard without power to board and battery out for at least 15 minutes after flashing and booted up once successfully right?) then try 3/16 or 5/10-3 or at least 3/10 official bios

With Drives on CSEL, HDs on Channel 1 and CDs on Channel 2, Fails to boot again.

With only HDs on Channel 1, and no CDs, Failed to boot.

With only boot drive on channel 1 with CSEL, booted windows and then BSOD'd. On reboot, nothing happened. Black Screen.

Plugged the CD-ROMs back into Channel 2, only the boot HD on channel 1. boots into Windows, attempts to install CD-ROM drivers and BSODs.

Booted into safe mode, locks up at "l_intl.nls"

Set All Drives to LBA, locks at POST, no drives detected.

Plugged in all drives, set them from LBA to Auto, left them as CSEL. Everything now works fine. I am confuzzled.