Overclocking and Windows SP2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, but are all those security holes worth an extra ~100mhz overclock? I mean SP2 is bad enough as it is...

Actually i may consider it, but don't you get that annoying little tray pop-up nagging you to upgade all the time?

Actually i may consider it, but don't you get that annoying little tray pop-up nagging you to upgade all the time?

Not if you switch off automatic updates.

Nice, but are all those security holes worth an extra ~100mhz overclock? I mean SP2 is bad enough as it is...

Very good point. Is it really worth it for an extra bit of speed that you probably won't even notice in everyday use anyway? Good for bragging rights though i suppose :D

Not if you switch off automatic updates.

Dah. Boy, do i look like a noob LOL. :rolleyes:

Very good point. Is it really worth it for an extra bit of speed that you probably won't even notice in everyday use anyway? Good for bragging rights though i suppose :D

Hmm... bragging rights :cool: ... or gaping security holes :tooth: ... with no guarantee it'll even improve anything. :confused:

I'll have to think about it. :D

My rig sits behind a Smoothwall box which should protect somewhat.

In addition, this is a pure gaming rig. It does games and benchmarks. Nothing else. People can hack it as much as they want 'cos there is never going to be anything irreplaceable on there.

I will try using a slipstreamed SP2 disc and see if that alters my overclock.

The reason I want the overclock is mainly because I spent a lot of time, effort and money on the cooling system (DIY watercooled) so running the CPU below max overclock is not an option for me. Even if it's just psychological, I want the CPU running as fast as it can and 2.8 - 2.9 Ghz is much nicer than 2.4 - 2.5 Ghz (especially when you consider this is out of a 1.8 Ghz chip!).

Thanks guys!

COPIED FROM ANOTHER FORUM I FREQUENT:

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

Wanted to let you know my findings on this as it had me stumped for ages.

Now it may only affect DFI NF4 boards becase they seem to be 'clever' and reboot themselves before the OS loads if you have pushed them too far.

Luckily, I set my system up on Day 1 with 2k SP4 for benching 3DMark01 and having a less bloated OS to do some Prime95'ing and CPU-Z'ing :D

I found my max stable (enough for benching) overclock of 9 x 324 HTT = 2.91 Ghz.

Now, installing XP SP2 for some 3DMark03 and 05 goodness caused a big shock:

I couldn't boot past 9 x 290 (2.6 Ghz) :eek:

I had installed the OS with the system at stock to avoid any corruption, although I had used a tweaked (nLite) XP SP2 slipstream CD.

Changing the HAL (Computer Type) to ACPI PC rather than ACPI Uniprocessor PC helped me get stable up to 300 HTT, but that was still 200 Mhz away from the previous setting!

I then installed XP SP1a and hey presto, back to 9 x 324 :D

Today I tried again with a non-tweaked (although still slipstreamed) XP SP2 CD and once again, no boot at 9 x 300 or above.

Hope this helps some of you get better clocks!

I would prefer to run SP2, but if it hurts clocks that much, I don't think I'll bother!

Sigh, back to XP SP1a then, thank goodness for Ghost!

:rolleyes:

COPIED FROM ANOTHER FORUM I FREQUENT:

And what forum might that be?

Now it may only affect DFI NF4 boards becase they seem to be 'clever' and reboot themselves before the OS loads if you have pushed them too far.

:confused: I think all of them will, depending on how far it's pushed. It'll reboot at any point of the boot load. I.E., once when I pushed my NF3 too far, it reboot as soon as the post detection screen showed up. I turned it down a little, and it made it to Windows but showed BSOD within seconds (it would've reboot but I disable auto reboot).

I found my max stable (enough for benching) overclock of 9 x 324 HTT = 2.91 Ghz.

Now, installing XP SP2 for some 3DMark03 and 05 goodness caused a big shock:

I couldn't boot past 9 x 290 (2.6 Ghz) :eek:

I then installed XP SP1a and hey presto, back to 9 x 324 :D

Today I tried again with a non-tweaked (although still slipstreamed) XP SP2 CD and once again, no boot at 9 x 300 or above.

Very interesting stuff. Makes me want to try it just to see if it really does make that much of a difference.

Also makes me think what might be going on behind the scenes we don't see. I can imagine the scene now, a dark, smoke filled room with Gates and Ruiz... :shake: :P

Changing the HAL (Computer Type) to ACPI PC rather than ACPI Uniprocessor PC helped me get stable up to 300 HTT...

This interests me most of all. It may be just enough to help me get over the hump to finally reaching a stable 3g's with my Newark. I've heard of it, but forgot all about it... :drool:

It is very interesting, and i'd love to know whats causing it, if it is SP2. I don't think it has a bearing on us NFII users so makes me think it could be a driver issue, maybe?

Now this is wild speculation, but maybe theres an updated driver for A64 Processors in SP2? When ever i do a fresh install of my system with my slipstreamed WinXP Pro SP2 and download updates, it always offers me an updated AMD Processor update in the drivers section for my XP-M. Tried installing it once and it failed so i left it..

Might be worth an SP2 user to look what Driver is being used for their Processor under Device Manager, and then for an SP1a user to do the same, and post them here...

The driver for my particular 32Bit Processor is dated 1/4/2004. Just for reference...