Ultra-D cold boot issues

This is hte computer I built for my Dad a month ago.

I would like to hear from someone who has had cold boot issues with value RAM of some sort who has replaced the RAM with something that works better. I want to be sure that it is the RAM that is at fault in my system before I go spending money to replace it.

The issue: Whenever the computer is shut down, it refuses to post when restarted. It has been getting worse. Up until recently, I was able to get it back running by resetting the BIOS and then reloading the settings. What it does is when the computer is restarted, is comes up to the post screen, but before it does the memory test or anything, it displays the line Main Processor: AMD Athlon 3200+....... and then it just sits there. Resetting the BIOS lets me get into the BIOS settings to load my settings. The Value Select doesn't run at stock, but I was able to get it stable using 2.90V on the DRAM Voltage, and it was passing memtest with no problems. Got the whole system installed fine, no issues. That was a month ago. Two weeks ago, it began having the cold boot issues. So I was limping by, using the "reset the BIOS whenever it fails" approach, which would allow me to reload my settings and then it would be fine. But this last time, after reloading my settings several times, it still won't let me in. As soon as I put my settings in, it goes straight back into the frozen mode with the processor line and sits there. I can't get back into the OS, and I have to reset the BIOS in order to get into the BIOS settings. Could there be a setting that I'm screwing up or is there some other solution to this problem?

--

Update: Right after I typed all this up but before I could hit the submit button my Dad called and we tried a few more things. We had it booting using defaults on one stick in DIMM2. Then we tried memtest86 on that and got tons of errors. Upped voltages back to what I had before, it was memtesting away with no errors when I last talked to Dad. Going to let it go for a while, then try the other stick. Long distance bills through the roof.

--

Also... looking at other RAM. Could someone define UTT and TCCD and explain which is better and why? I was looking at OCZ EL Gold VX PC3200 Dual Channel Kit or OCZ Dual Channel Optimized Platinum PC3200. Both are around the same price. Which goes better? Further, since I think I'm locked into the Corsair thing unless they just refund me, I was wondering what people think of TWINX1024-3200C2?

Thanks. I know it's kinda long. 'Preciate you reading this far.

J

This is hte computer I built for my Dad a month ago.

I would like to hear from someone who has had cold boot issues with value RAM of some sort who has replaced the RAM with something that works better. I want to be sure that it is the RAM that is at fault in my system before I go spending money to replace it.

The issue: Whenever the computer is shut down, it refuses to post when restarted. It has been getting worse. Up until recently, I was able to get it back running by resetting the BIOS and then reloading the settings. What it does is when the computer is restarted, is comes up to the post screen, but before it does the memory test or anything, it displays the line Main Processor: AMD Athlon 3200+....... and then it just sits there. Resetting the BIOS lets me get into the BIOS settings to load my settings. The Value Select doesn't run at stock, but I was able to get it stable using 2.90V on the DRAM Voltage, and it was passing memtest with no problems. Got the whole system installed fine, no issues. That was a month ago. Two weeks ago, it began having the cold boot issues. So I was limping by, using the "reset the BIOS whenever it fails" approach, which would allow me to reload my settings and then it would be fine. But this last time, after reloading my settings several times, it still won't let me in. As soon as I put my settings in, it goes straight back into the frozen mode with the processor line and sits there. I can't get back into the OS, and I have to reset the BIOS in order to get into the BIOS settings. Could there be a setting that I'm screwing up or is there some other solution to this problem?

--

Update: Right after I typed all this up but before I could hit the submit button my Dad called and we tried a few more things. We had it booting using defaults on one stick in DIMM2. Then we tried memtest86 on that and got tons of errors. Upped voltages back to what I had before, it was memtesting away with no errors when I last talked to Dad. Going to let it go for a while, then try the other stick. Long distance bills through the roof.

--

Also... looking at other RAM. Could someone define UTT and TCCD and explain which is better and why? I was looking at OCZ EL Gold VX PC3200 Dual Channel Kit or OCZ Dual Channel Optimized Platinum PC3200. Both are around the same price. Which goes better? Further, since I think I'm locked into the Corsair thing unless they just refund me, I was wondering what people think of TWINX1024-3200C2?

Thanks. I know it's kinda long. 'Preciate you reading this far.

J

I would also check the power supply rails to see that you are getting all the voltage you need on start up. I like to measure the output with a meter.

Of the memory you are looking at I think the OCZ EL Gold VX PC3200 would be best. You may have to play with the timings a bit to get the best performance and stability out of them. Seems sence the CPUs now have the memory controllers instead of the board so each may be a bit diffrent in the timings it wants.

Value Ram is kinda like the prize in a box of Cracker Jacks, You never really know what your going to get!

UPDATE:

Finished memtest on both sticks individually, 6+ passes on each, no errors. Put both back in together and now it seems to work just fine, boots normally, can shut down and restart without trouble.

I'm still going to pursue some alternate memory. These are the three I've found that fit the price range:

1. OCZ EL GOLD PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR 184PIN CL2-2-2-5 DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY KIT W/ HEAT SPREADER

2. OCZ EL PC3200 400MHZ DDR 1024MB DUAL CHANNEL GOLD VX MEMORY KIT 2X512MB CL-2-3-3-8 184PIN

3. OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED PLATINUM 2X512MB DDR PC3200 CL2-3-2-5 HEAT SPREADER

I'm also wondering what people think of the Corsair TWINX series. I'd be getting one of the 2x512MB kits, of course.

Thanks,

J

Problem with flashing the bios is that I'm halfway across the country from my Dad right now and won't be back until probably Xmas. I could talk him through it over the phone... that's how we get everything else done. But flashing the bios is so much more delicate a procedure that I wouldn't like to do it that way if I didn't have to. He is sort of up and running again for now, so I'm a little bit off the hook for the time being, but I suspect that there will be problems in the future, since the settings are the same as they were when I initially set it up.