4v NF4 Jumper Worrying You? Try This Trick!

Well, to answer my own question... no...

The Antec TruePower 2.0 TrueControl II 550PGB (550W) has external trim pots for all three rails, and it's not too expensive, $109.24 w/free shipping @ Amazon.

So now the question is, which is a better PSU? The TrueControl II above or the OCZ Powerstream 520W which goes for $118+6 @ atacom.com.

I'm kind of leaning toward the OCZ Powerstream 520W.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

this mod is awesome :nod: . Had problems to get my ram memtest-stable @ 3.3-3.4v and using the 4v jumper. Tried this (easy) mod and set my 3.3 rail to 3.45v (measured by a 10€ dmm) and 3.3v in bios. No more errors in memtest and a cooler board :D .

Thanks for this great mod!

Gipse

So wait, the only reason for this mod is so you can avoid a little heat???

I mean, if you did set the jumper to 5V, the board wouldn't heat up unless you actually started using all that extra voltage right?

I mean, if setting the jumper to 5V to allow up to 4V's to the RAM, if you only selected 3.3vdimm in the BIOS and you were already running it at 3.1vdimm before the change, the board is not going to run that much more hot. Am I right?

So wait, the only reason for this mod is so you can avoid a little heat???

I mean, if you did set the jumper to 5V, the board wouldn't heat up unless you actually started using all that extra voltage right?

I mean, if setting the jumper to 5V to allow up to 4V's to the RAM, if you only selected 3.3vdimm in the BIOS and you were already running it at 3.1vdimm before the change, the board is not going to run that much more hot. Am I right?

The main reason for doing this is to avoid using the 5v rail. Memory can be damaged and this helps prevent that. And yes, heat kills many things, mobos included.

But, did you get what I was saying about if you don't crank up the vdimm after switching to the 5V rail that the board shouldn't heat up, like say you were only using 3.3vdimm, the board shouldn't heat up THAT much, maybe a few degrees but not like 20C lol...

And you could only damage the ram by pumping too much voltage through it.

Am I right or just missing something?

But, did you get what I was saying about if you don't crank up the vdimm after switching to the 5V rail that the board shouldn't heat up, like say you were only using 3.3vdimm, the board shouldn't heat up THAT much, maybe a few degrees but not like 20C lol...

And you could only damage the ram by pumping too much voltage through it.

Am I right or just missing something?

The way I understand it winston, is when the 5v jumper is enabled the mosfets have to down regulate from the 5v rail a lot more than from the 3.3v rail. This causes said regulating components to work a lot harder and heat up.

With the jumper set to supply the vdimm from the 3.3v rail, and increasing said rail in the PSU to say 3.5v, the rail now can supply 3.3v to the dimm slots with practically no down regulation, therefore keeping the mobo cool and happy. You'll still need to place a fan or two over the memory sticks to keep them happy though.

The way I understand it winston, is when the 5v jumper is enabled the mosfets have to down regulate from the 5v rail a lot more than from the 3.3v rail. This causes said regulating components to work a lot harder and heat up.

With the jumper set to supply the vdimm from the 3.3v rail, and increasing said rail in the PSU to say 3.5v, the rail now can supply 3.3v to the dimm slots with practically no down regulation, therefore keeping the mobo cool and happy. You'll still need to place a fan or two over the memory sticks to keep them happy though.

Ah, I see.

Well, what's the current 3.3v max? 3.2vdimm?

I probabaly won't go past that as I don't want to put a fan over my RAM....

I have BH-5 sticks and they've been running at 3.3vdimm for over a year :)