Little building questions

Hi,

I ve read the FAQ but can t find an answer so hope thsi will work. I started building my first PC and followed the "manual" posted in a topic in this forum (by ed?). Anyway, I have a few questions about connecting the power suply (tagan 420):

Photo 1

-->I have to connect 4 power cables to the mainbord (as stated in the "manual"). I alread connected 3 of them, I guess the last one is the 4 pins connector below the 24 pins power connector but I don t know what connector to use: I have a blue one which seems to fit with P4 on it...is this the one?

Photo 2

-->this seems to me like a ground cable. I first want to let the sytem boot a few times outside the case: where do I connect this one temporary? (the central heating system?)

Photo 3

-->photo 1 in detail

Hope someone can give a hand! It s appreciated.

Crash

Hi,

I ve read the FAQ but can t find an answer so hope thsi will work. I started building my first PC and followed the "manual" posted in a topic in this forum (by ed?). Anyway, I have a few questions about connecting the power suply (tagan 420):

Photo 1

-->I have to connect 4 power cables to the mainbord (as stated in the "manual"). I alread connected 3 of them, I guess the last one is the 4 pins connector below the 24 pins power connector but I don t know what connector to use: I have a blue one which seems to fit with P4 on it...is this the one?

Got that one covered already.

Photo 2

-->this seems to me like a ground cable. I first want to let the sytem boot a few times outside the case: where do I connect this one temporary? (the central heating system?)

Photo 3

-->photo 1 in detail

Hope someone can give a hand! It s appreciated.

Crash

The common rail on the PSU is all the "ground" you need.

But, according to your picutre, you have the 4pin molex and the 4pin floppy connectors on the same lead from the power supply.

You should have the 4pin floppy power connector on one lead and the 4pin molex power connector from another lead. If possible, these leads should not have any other hardware attached. I say "if possible" because not every power supply will have enough leads for every rig.

I have tested my nF4 SLI-DR with the 4pin molex sharing the floppy drive without any problems but I am running just a single 6600GT right now.

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

Thanks y'all sofar! I used the EZ touch power switch to turn it one and it started: went to BIOS and loaded optimized defaults...saved and turned it off. Next step was to build the motherboard into the PC case (coolermaster centurion 5).

I installed exactely the same setup as running outside the case. And now when I turn on the PSU (without pressing the EZ touch power swith) the RAM en the power LED on the motherboard are on, but the system doesn t start anymore. Any suggestions?

Crash

Edit: changed 1 thing: removed the audiomodule because it wouldn fit in my case otherwise.

Double check all of your power connections on the mobo and devices.

Did you have to install the standoffs to mount the mobo to the tray? If you did, are there several different lenght standoffs?

I checked all the connections (again) and they are fine. I have only the mobo and the videocard connected. (+mouse, keyboard and monitor)

I installed the standoffs.....they are only available in one size. I installed all the nessesary standoffs, but I didn t all fasten them with screws: just a test setting now: have to do some cable management later.

Thanks for giving some pointers...but no solution so far :(

Have you taken it back out of the case for another test?

Well, I just did..and with no succes. Same problems...The PSU fan's aren t running (ok?) and when I put my ear right next to it I hear a very soft ticking.

It s now in exactely the same situation as before and now it refuses to start (no fans running either): like the "in case situation". Help me please!

Crash

Remove all of the PSU leads from the motherboard and drives.

There is info on the web on how to "jump start" a PSU.

Try that and see if the PSU will start with nothing attached.

Remove all of the PSU leads from the motherboard and drives.

There is info on the web on how to "jump start" a PSU.

Try that and see if the PSU will start with nothing attached.

I just did a "jump start" used this picture . But I still got no PSU fans running: does that have to be the case?

Crash