New rig totally unstable in SLI, SLI-DR, FX-55, at my wit's end

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Well, mixed results so far.

I haven't had any crashing in games yet like before; I loaded WOW and Half Life 2 on the machine and both ran like champs without any problems. Before bed I fired up some Prime testing but I woke to find that it had errored out after 2 hours. They claimed to have adjusted the BIOS settings at the shop but I checked them before I even loaded Windows on the machine and they were identical to the settings I sent when I RMAed the box. I told them to test and find the best memory timings but it looks like they didn't do that. Can't have everything, I guess. Funny thing is that they claimed they updated the BIOS on the board and did all the memory timings and they so didn't. Probably gonna move to 5/10-2 and re-test.

Well thats better. Try the correct BIOS for your board (BH-5 is 2 right??) then tweak those memory settings till your fine. Remember to use memtest from the BIOS and use tests 5 and 8 (at least 5 passes each).

BH5 can take 3.2v but needs active cooling to do so.

Prime 95 shouldn't error if you 100% stable. Are you using the Heat/Power one (in place FFT's I think)??

Tweak away in memtest, then try Prime95 and tweak again if needed Hope its all fine :)

I use the Blend version of Prime to test, generally. I read from another post by Angry_games that I should run 3.2v with this memory, and I think that's what I had left it on when I shipped the machine out. I'm gonna go down to 2.8 with the 5-10 bios and run some memtest loops @ lunchtime with some settings that I feel are the most aggressive, then tweak down from there.

Oh -- one more thing, should I be using the orange or yellow slots under 5/10? I think that Oskar said that BH-5 memory should go in the yellow slots under this BIOS but I'm not sure.

Oh -- one more thing, should I be using the orange or yellow slots under 5/10? I think that Oskar said that BH-5 memory should go in the yellow slots under this BIOS but I'm not sure.

Yes I have heard mention that the Yellow slots should be used for BH5 too. I'm on TCCD so I use orange.

3.2v is still very high even for BH5 and if it were me I'd get some active cooling on them for that kind of voltage. Just IMHO tho.

Good luck - hope its all good :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah hi, remember me?

I'm getting my PC back today, FINALLY. Monarch replaced the 2 video cards (they said that BFG called them and admitted that they had a bad batch of cards ship out so I'm thinking that this was the root of all of my problems to begin with) and the power supply. I'll have it up tonight hopefully for some more testing.

Dobbs, did the new video cards solve your problem? If so, what video drivers are you using?

CONGRATS ON GETTING IT FIXED! :nod:

I am trying to understand if the PSU was a part of the problem. I have read the entire thread.

You started off with the Enermax 535W SLI-Ready PSU,

then you posted that you were ordering the OCZ PS 600W,

but your sig shows the Enermax 600W SLI-Certified (#701).

Please tell me if the Enermax 535W SLI-Ready was really a cause/part of the problem.

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that it was -- I have the Enermax 600W now which was replaced by Monarch. I am almost certain that the cause of the problem was the 2 bad BFG cards that I received. But now I have some new problems which I'm trying to work out... more complicated programs (games usually) freeze the system when I try and start them up after the machine's been on for a while. After a clean reboot, things start fine. Little programs like CRT, CuteFTP, etc. don't seem to do anything but a util of mine that uses a MYSQL database locks the machine upon start, as does GTA:SA, World of Warcraft, and BF2. I'm not sure what to make of it yet -- I thought it was memory but I've tried all the timings under the sun and it doesn't seem to be that. Could be that I need a fresh OS install (again) or something.