Annoying problem with games crashing

I just built my new rig, specs in my sig. I was having a problem getting the system to come up running my 2 DIMMs in dual channel, but after reading around the forums I'm now running stable. Thanks!

Now, I'm left with another problem that is . me off to no end. My computer can not play Warcraft 3, at all... some other stuff as well. I can go through the menus and all just fine, but when the game starts doing some actual work, it craps out. My test is a 12 person single player game. It'll run fine for a little while... but eventually it just blacks out. The system doesn't reboot, it just stops. The current sound sample loops back endlessly and my monitors go into power save mode.

Oddly enough, 3dMark2001 and 3dMark2003 run without a hitch... but Warcraft 3 crashes it. Just for fun, I set my graphics to 640x480x16 low quality everything and the whole 12 player game played all the way through fine. Project64 crashes with the exact same symptoms. I can do desktop stuff (RAR'ing, compiling, movies) with no problems.

Has anyone run into anything like this or know how I can fix it?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you OC'd ?

If you are does it do this when stock ?

Have you ran memtestprime to check for stability even if your running stock ?

Maybe try different video card drivers too..

Are you OC'd ?

If you are does it do this when stock ?

Have you ran memtestprime to check for stability even if your running stock ?

Maybe try different video card drivers too..

I'm running stock... memtest runs fine, I haven't tried prime though. I'm using the latest XFX drivers drivers from their website.

It's an Athlon 64 problem.

Try this:

- Open C:Boot.ini (before that, backup it and remove write protection)

- Change the entry in the last line from "/noExecute..." to "/execute"

- Save and reboot

I had issues with UT 2004 and now they are all gone, after I did this...

Hope this helps :D

Yep that is the correct way to fix the problem I have read that else where too. I read that alot of people using gedorce 6 series and a64's having this problem. They where fixed when this was done. Here is a link to the post that I read. It can be found be clicking here .

Yep that is the correct way to fix the problem I have read that else where too. I read that alot of people using gedorce 6 series and a64's having this problem. They where fixed when this was done. Here is a link to the post that I read. It can be found be clicking here .

I set it to AlwaysOff, but it didn't fix the problem. I'm not getting a BSOD, I'm getting a total black out. This doesn't happen on low quality video settings.

Update:

I loaded Prime95, and ran the stress test for a few minutes... but then I needed to get to my computer to do something real fast. I hit stop test, and as soon as I stopped it, it gave me the IRQL less than or equal blue screen error, and then immediately rebooted.

Hmm I just taking a wild guess here but could this mean his IRQ's are conflicting and he needs to manual assign a IRQ? You might wanna wait for Angry or Rgone to answer this or someone that knows alittle more. Wish I could be of more assistance to you sorry.

Go threw your device manager and see if anything is sharing the same IRQ as your video card.

IRQL less than or equal blue screen error, and then immediately rebooted.

this is almost always a memory error.

I've had memtest pass with flying colors and 3dmark pass easily but the instant i ran a 'real' game like UT, Chronicles of Riddick, Doom3, HL2, etc, it would crash instantly.

overclock was the cause of it one time

memory timings not being correct was another cause another time

incompatible memory was another cause....

it always went back to the memory being incorrect/incompatible

Most likely its one of the things Angry mentioned. I recently dealt with something similar, but was resolved by making sure I had the power cables setup efficently, ie. a single line to the HD's, and a seperate one for the vid card alone. That and my moving to a case with less fans, 2 vs 5 seemed to have fixed my issue.

Hmmm... I used RGone's settings to get up and running, with changes to the CAS timings to match what's advertised on the memory. Should I up the voltage a little bit you think?

UPDATE TO FURTHER CONFUSE THINGS

So I was watching a DivX encoded video just now, and I got the same black screen that I get when I'm playing Warcraft 3. My friend was watching the video too, so instead of just hitting reset immediatley (like I usually do), I explained the problem to him... but get this:

While the screen blacks out, it just plays the same sound sample over and over... like a typical crash -- or so I thought. While I was explaining the situation, I noticed the sound samples were ever so slowly progessing. The computer was still running... just very very poorly, and with no video. So I spammed alt+f4 for about 30 seconds, and sure enough the sound stopped. Then I heard the little AIM chime you get when someone sends you an IM... just choppy and stretched out over like 15 seconds. I'll never know what that IM said, but now I know it's not a total system crash... which probably makes it a little bit harder to troubleshoot.

I am so confused right now

Guest Angus

this is exactly whats happening to my system as well (monitor flicks on and off - works great on every other system i have - changing monitors doesn't fix the problem - also crashes in games UT2k4 esp), i also get green sparklies on my display at 1600x1200 resolution. but people stopped replying in my thread so i thought i'd post in this one.