Which Card Should I Get

Guest MetalMilitia18

Although i'm an Nvidia fan i'd say you should go with the 9500, it would out perform the 4800 and I think it's Dx9 compliant. Or you could save up a little more and wait for the Fx5600 Ultra Rev.2 , thats what i'm gonna be gettin. Good luck!

Guest MetalMilitia18

yeah, the 9500 is moddable, and i was actually leaning more towards it just because it is DX9 compliant. When is this 5600 ult rev. 2 coming out? And how much is it expected to cost? I really don't have a preference with video cards, this is my first card that is goign to be anywhere near the standard. The one i have right now is a 4200 ti and that is the best i've ever used so yeah.

pfft, Ti4200? I'm still on my GeForce 3! :blink:

When you upgrade, I'd be more than happy to take that Ti4200 off your hands! *hint hint* :P

I thinkt the 5600's should be coming out pretty soon. I've seen some reviews lately on them.

RVE Posted on Jun 26 2003, 02:04 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pfft, Ti4200? I'm still on my GeForce 3! 

When you upgrade, I'd be more than happy to take that Ti4200 off your hands! *hint hint* 

I thinkt the 5600's should be coming out pretty soon. I've seen some reviews lately on them. 

Yeah, wait for at least the end of this week! PNY will be coming out with the new FX5600 Ultra Rev. 2 I've read some good reviews and it's a pretty good card. You should just wait for that card.

Well, the 9500->9700 mod does not always work so be warned. As I have learned by playing with a 9500 Pro card, you can ge the same results by just ocing the 9500 pro as you would with the 9500->9700 trick. The 4800se is the same as the Ti 4200-8x just so you know (if I'm not mistaken, but I've also looked at the speeds and they almost match). The 9500 non pro is what I have and the 9500->9700 trick worked for me; it if doesn't then you will have heavy checkerboarding. Here's a link on how to do the 9500->9700 hack:

http://www.maxdownloads.com/~ian/wizzard/

Dependent on how much of a chance you're willing to take, I'd advise you consider the consequences. With a 9500 its a chance, with a 9500 pro you can almost rest assured that it will work (get a sapphire card if you're going with a radeon because the bios comes unlocked for ocing). The only downside to the 9500pro is that you can get a 9700 non pro for about the same price. The 9500 non pro by itself is the same speed as a 4200-8x; if you have a 4200 IMO that's a good enough card for now.

This is totally off subject but if you're upgrading bc you can't run a game at full settings (I'm not too sure what NVidia's max settings are on AF and AA) the Radeon 9500 has AF up to 16X and AA up to 6X. The Nvidia card I had (MX440-se) could only go up to 6x AA and 2x AF so I'm assuming that most NV cards have nearly the same settings. But with the graphics turned all the way up on my 9500, I get about 40fps on Max Pyne and only about 12fps on ETM; but if you play with say 4XAA and 8XAF then you won't run into any problems!