Lan Party UT NF3-250GB NB burning up.

Hi guys,

I read the reviews before I bought this board and all of them said the NB was really hot. I did not realized how hot it was until I actually touch the heatsink while it's running.

I bought the Zalman NB32J bigger heatsink to try to reduce the heat but the heatsink is too tall for my video card. I got the Radeon 9800PRO with the VGA Silenver Rev.2, the older revision when it first came out.

I wonder if buying the lastest video VGA Silencer with the new design, will it allow me to use the Zalman NB cooler? As of right now, the stock NB cooler from DFI is just about fit with my video card and it's burning up.

Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trim some of the pins on the northbridge cooler so that it doesn't interfere, there should be enough left to do the job

Paul

One problem, the VGA cooler is covering more than half of the Zalman NB cooler, if trim, will be left with less than half of the fins and it might just perform the same as the stock cooler.

Move the card to the bottom slot and change the jumpers to SLI configuration. The 8X speed of the slot is still greater than the card throughput. There's no penalty in performance.

Hi,

I have the NF3-250GB board and not the NF4, thus no SLI configuration. It's just that I want to cooler the NB better by using a taller NB cooler but it gets in the way of my Radeon 9800pro with the VGA cooler.

Move the card to the bottom slot and change the jumpers to SLI configuration. The 8X speed of the slot is still greater than the card throughput. There's no penalty in performance.

lol ExRoadie...this is about the 5th thread you've given NF4 advice for NF3 users...you should read the post (and poster should have system in his sig...)

Bad_Dude:

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

lol ExRoadie...this is about the 5th thread you've given NF4 advice for NF3 users...you should read the post (and poster should have system in his sig...

Bad_Dude:

Man, that's two in two days. I really need to pay more attention. No excuse this time since I only had one thread open. No excuse! :sweat:

I know what the problem is!

It's this new nF4 board. It keeps forcing itself into my thoughts.

Mea Culpa

I have a Vantec copper active cooler on my 250gb, it's definitly low profile but I'm not sure how well it's working.

The stock aluminum cooler used to get really hot so I picked up the Vantec one day at Fry's with $20 store credit I had to spend. I installed it using a thin layer of the supplied white thermal paste.

Now this heatsink barely gets warm to the touch, I'ts either working great or not conducting the heat. Trouble is, I don't know what, if any, temp probes read NB temps. I think it's the "Board Temperature" in Sandra Lites Environment Monitor, but I'm not sure. The value is normally around 38c - 39c and rizes quickly to over 50c when I overclock, even at stock voltage.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Anyone know of a temp monitor that will work on this board with XP64?

Thanks for this forum, it's an excellent resource even though I usually just lurk.