What power supply do you have? (open to all platforms)

Angry_Games

1,912 members have voted

1. 1.

• OCZ (all makes)
    • Fortron/FSP (all makes)
    • Enermax
    • PCP&C
    • Antec
    • Skyhawk
    • Thermaltake
    • Coolermaster
    • I'm using a 20-pin psu still
    • Other (please list in a post!)
    • Silverstone
    • Sunbeam
    • Tagan
    • Seasonic
    • Hiper
    • Mushkin/BFG

OCZ Powerstream 600. I'm pretty much an OCZ poster child here after my Antec True380 was giving me all kinds of BSOD / graphics issues and I RMA'd my video card (which didn't help).

That power supply seriously rocks, and so shiny!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow (my favorite interjection now :) ) After 7 pages of post i' didn't see a person using my PSU... Ihope i have a good one... Have had some problem with my board but not due to my PSU (i hope)

And i love my Hiper 480W which is very effective and quiet ! (ATX2.2 compliant)

Just a word to the wise on the use of the term "compliant". It seems to be used as a definitive measure of capabilities when talking about power supplies. There are many "compliant" power supplies that don't "conform" to the spec. Some glaring items are a missing 12V2 rail or the inclusion of the old "server" connector.

The proper term to use is "conforms". This means that every value and measure are withing the guidelines of the spec.

Just to clarify some things, isn't it entirely possible to have a "compliant" psu be every bit better and perform better than a comparable PSU that "conforms" to ATX2.0

Wouldn't a "compliant" PSU that has 1 12v rail with 36A

be better than an ATX2.0 "conforming" PSU with 2x12v rails with 18A each ???

Since one of the 18A rails is dedicated to the CPU, you only have 18A left for the rest of the system....

If you had just one single rail, whatever the CPU didn't use would be the gain for the rest of the system. To me this is more ideal and better especially for an SLI system.

Please tell me if I am in err or where I have gone wrong?

Guest Fastcat

Just got this in today (Sky Hawk 570W Power Supply with Smart Cable Management, Model "ATX-GM570PC" )and so far it is ALOT more stable than old one, thanks to the one that posted about this PSU.

Just got this in today (Sky Hawk 570W Power Supply with Smart Cable Management, Model "ATX-GM570PC" )and so far it is ALOT more stable than old one, thanks to the one that posted about this PSU.

im blowing up a 3500+ Newcastle right now @ 2750Mhz, 2x 6600GT SLI, 2x Raptor RAID etc with one of these Skyhawk 570's....absolutely stable (left it running memtest all night, testing it for overall stability right now)

Just to clarify some things, isn't it entirely possible to have a "compliant" psu be every bit better and perform better than a comparable PSU that "conforms" to ATX2.0

Wouldn't a "compliant" PSU that has 1 12v rail with 36A

be better than an ATX2.0 "conforming" PSU with 2x12v rails with 18A each ???

Since one of the 18A rails is dedicated to the CPU, you only have 18A left for the rest of the system....

If you had just one single rail, whatever the CPU didn't use would be the gain for the rest of the system. To me this is more ideal and better especially for an SLI system.

Please tell me if I am in err or where I have gone wrong?

You can look back at the post from Poisonsnak for one reason.

But to be honest, I don't understand the constant post regarding this issue. What makes people think that they are smarter than the people that design these motherboards and power supplies? Why would you want to challenge the advice of the manufacturer.

Let say for a moment that an electrical engineer designed a circuit for a specific purpose with a specific power supply in mind.

Are you going to argue with the electrical engineer about changing the power supply? And if you do argue what do you hope to gain?

Take a look at speed ratings on tires. Just because one set of tires can actually exceed their speed rating doesn't mean another set will. Are you willing to gamble your life on someone elses experience with a set of tires? The tires might shred and cause and accident.

No one has ever said that power supplies that don't conform will not work. They just won't meet the requirements of the design as provided.

ExRoadie

You can look back at the post from Poisonsnak for one reason.

But to be honest, I don't understand the constant post regarding this issue. What makes people think that they are smarter than the people that design these motherboards and power supplies? Why would you want to challenge the advice of the manufacturer.

Let say for a moment that an electrical engineer designed a circuit for a specific purpose with a specific power supply in mind.

Are you going to argue with the electrical engineer about changing the power supply? And if you do argue what do you hope to gain?

Take a look at speed ratings on tires. Just because one set of tires can actually exceed their speed rating doesn't mean another set will. Are you willing to gamble your life on someone elses experience with a set of tires? The tires might shred and cause and accident.

No one has ever said that power supplies that don't conform will not work. They just won't meet the requirements of the design as provided.

ExRoadie

be constructive please

Using the atx 24 pin layout, the 4 uncovered pins are 12v, 3.3v, 5v, and GND.

I took an old 4 pin connector (p4 connector) and wired in the 12v, 3.3, 5, and GND.

Plugged it in. Works like a champ. I can post pics soon.. but ive got 4 new toys to play with... air conditioners...