Bulding New System, Suggestions Needed!

k, my friend wants me to build him a comp. he has a max budget of $1200, but it would be great to be under that. he wants it fast, and i guess he wants to do some video editing on it. he also wants a "good" dvd-burner (which i know nothing about.). so this is what i have so far:

A7N8X Deluxe

amd xp 2500 barton core

-video card (somewaht top of the line, i was thinking radeon 9700 or gf4 ti 4800)-

-ram (want 512mb of pc3200)-

-dvd burner?-

-cd burner (probably just gunna get one from best buys)-

-hard drive (havnt picked one out yet, but i know what im lookin for)-

basicly im not sure on the dvd-burner, ram, or video card. any recomendations? thanks in advance guys.

Edited by hiph0pan0nym0usx

I would say if he is going for video editing, he needs lots of space. So, figure the prices.

These are just average prices that I have seen of around many different sites.

Barton 2500+ about $100.

A7N8X deluxe about $130.

512MB RAM (video editing should be 768-1GB) about $100-$150.

9700 Pro about $200 (I think).

DVD burner about $200-$300.

CD burner about $40-$120.

Hard drive, video editing, you will need LOTS of space. 200GB drive about $200-$250. 180GB drive around $160-$190. Right now, average is around a dollar a gig.

Right there is about $1100+ so, that is a great setup. I would really say go with 1GB of RAM though.

Here is a system I recently ordered that is very similar to yours:

(from newegg)

VGA XFX|GF4 TI4200 8X 128MB RT (Qty=1,Price=119.00)

CPU AMD|2500 /333 ATHLON XP BARTON% (Qty=1,Price=93.00)

MB NFORCE2 A7N8X-UAY 400Mhz ASUS RT (Qty=1,Price=115.99)

HD 60GB|MAXTOR 7200RPM 6Y060L0% (Qty=1,Price=79.00)

CPU FAN AMD/INTEL VOLCANO9 A1365 R (Qty=1,Price=21.99)

I also ordered 512 megs of PC 2700 RAM and a PowerSupply (already had a case) from other websites.

With shipping, I got all of this for 500 bucks. Now, add your DVD burner, CD ROM drive, CD Burner, Floppy, a case if you need one, etc... and you're looking at maybe 700 to 800 bucks.

Does he need a monitor? You can pick up a 19inch monitor for 150 bucks if you want.

That leaves you a lot of extra cash to make upgrades as you'd like and/or add other things to it.

Check newegg, they have great deals and they have the BEST and QUICKEST shipping and support.

With shipping, I got all of this for 500 bucks. Now, add your DVD burner, CD ROM drive, CD Burner, Floppy, a case if you need one, etc... and you're looking at maybe 700 to 800 bucks.
the DVD burner alone is going to brin you up to 800 bucks so about $1000 is the cheapest you can get it to.

DVD burners...

I've owned 3 different DVD burners and the only difference I've noticed is the price and burn speed between the models. I had a Toshiba SD-R5002, a Pioneer A04 and also a pioneer A05. The only difference was the price. I got the toshiba for under $200, the other drives a little under $300. The toshiba drive I actually liked better because I didn't have to hack the firmware to burn at 2x with 1x ritek media. If you don't know anything about dvdr media... ritek is the best and cheapest brand to get. They cost about $1.29 each instead of $5 for a pioneer dvdr. If you need a dvd burner on a budget, I'd go with the toshiba drive. The current price is about $165.

looks nice

i would go with ti4800

and uhm, about the dvd burner. i dunno , i have one at the moment, it's 1 year old, and i have used it only once, to copy a pron dvd, wich i got for free... so i dunno, but maybe you are going to use it much , i didn't , so i wouldn't spend money on that :)

ok just a little update....... what my friend DIDNT tell me is that it was $1200 INCLUDING a 17" lcd moniter... which alone will be around 400..... so heres a little update.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe - $127 - newegg

Amd xp 2600 - $93 - newegg

Radeon 9600 pro 128mb - $165 - newegg

cheiftec or chemning case w/ psu -apx $95 - newegg

western digital "special edition" 120gb 7200rpm eide - $107 - newegg

still doin research on the dvd burner, and ram. i decided to get as much from newegg as possible just to make it easier on myself. what do u guys think now?

Ahhhhh.......9600 Pros scare me. Dude, if you going to go with something a little cheaper then the 9700 Pro, then get the 9500 Pro. It performs better then the 9600 and its cheaper, it think.

Ahhhhh.......9600 Pros scare me.  Dude, if you going to go with something a little cheaper then the 9700 Pro, then get the 9500 Pro.  It performs better then the 9600 and its cheaper, it think.

r u sure about that? from wat ive read the 9600 pro is the best budget card.

aslo i looked at the Toshiba SD-R5002 and i like it a lot. but i understand there are two types of dvd burning. - and + i believe. which one do most dvd burners use, and which should i look for?

Edited by hiph0pan0nym0usx