NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

I do have several PSU's, one of 'em being a 475W Enermax, is that sufficient, or need more than 500W?

If the PSU has a 24pin ATX connector, find a link to your unit that shows the PSU label like they do on newegg then post the link so we can take a look at it.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this isn't the ideal thread to make an introduction on the boards, but I have to thank Jacobson for all his effort in maticulously outlining the Newbie Installation Rules!!!

All kidding aside, I've been learning about computers for about 5 months in preparation for this building endeavor. My components arrived last week. I had a semi-successful first build but ran into some problems. I've used this site for only a week and have filled a lot of holes in my understanding of the whats, hows, whys, that I knew this experience would teach.

I've taken on a task that is way over my head. It has always bothered me that I work behind a computer all day, but don't know anything about. I decided I wanted to learn how to build a computer because in doing so I'd learn how they work.

The final decision to build my own was increadiby difficult not only because the task is on something I don’t have a single clue about, but also because a thousand dollar investment rests on me knowing I don’t have a clue. Yet if I don’t follow through w/ the learning and reading and effort and frustration that would surely await then I would have made a horrible decision and should have then just bought a retail unit.

I knew going in that the learning would come from the doing. I knew that I didn't know anything, but that I had to jump into this process. I knew that I would become overwhelmed. I knew that I would end up here, where I am now after just making the decision to start from scratch and re-build.

Before I got to this thread I decided it was time to sit down and read, learn, and prepare a re-build. After reading about 100 previous threads I landed on this one and I am incredibly glad I did. This thread has given me the confidence to rebuild from scratch and rebuild it right.

My first build did warranted internet access, but stability was not happening. I learned about some bench mark tests, occt, sandra, 3d mark, and the largest prime test, and have installed them, but I'm now learning how they work and why they are important. Couple that w/ stability trouble shooting, ddram timings, voltage, hardware temps, fsb, and this thread and I think I just may be okay. Unfortunately a lot a lot a lot of work lies ahead the next two weekend days.

I attempted to flash my bios and did so once successfully, but am now stuck w/ a system that won't boot from the floppy drive.

Long story short. I'm worried what if anything I might have done to my mother board w/ my bios flashing, but am determined to re-build.

When I'm finally done, up and running I will then have the very basic understandings and be able to use this platform to continue to learn and understand computers.

This place is going to be a nice home for me. I will be here often for many months to come.

Thanks guys for making this experience so much fun.

Thanks Jacobs for making such a great thread for all of us newbs.

-Dominic

Here is an update on my computer.

It is alive! The last parts of the build and installing OS went smoothly. Ran memtest for over an hour, two passes, without any errors. Yes! I'm now up to about Step 28, connecting to the internet, but am loathe to do that until I figure something out about virus protection. I have a McAfee virus protection program on my other computer, but I'm not that is ideal or not. In the meantime I'm loading other software, such as for a digital camera, to check out the USB ports. I haven't run any other stability or speed tests.

I'm glad this thread has been helpful to other people. I might just post a revised set of instructions based on everthing I've learned. Overall, it's been a good experience an I'm looking at a computer my kids and I put togetherm and we generally undestand how it works and how to upgrade it. The mistakes I made were mostly based on being a total newbie and were fairly minor. But I think you have to go into knowing there are times you need to take a break, and it's nice there is a place like this to get your questions answered. I'm sure I'll still have more.

Here is an update on my computer.

I have a McAfee virus protection program on my other computer, but I'm not that is ideal or not.

AVG Anti Virus software. It's free and has a low overhead. As my Norton subscriptions are expiring I'm replacing with AVG.

Version 7 is the current release. Just scroll to the bottom of the page.

link goodness...

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5

Good to hear Ed, congrats!

Good also to hear it Ed. The thing is you had a plan that you used to follow the process and not so much jumping and flouncing about under a preconception that you knew it all.

And if one does nOt have a plan other than just having at it when new to the task> then they just are asking for trouble.

A plan. And that includes a 'backup' plan. I just figured to try the 6.39 like so many do and run down to the 'fresh new' download site and grab up and start to load new drivers. Which I am trying to say I 'seldom' if ever do. This time I fell for the fervor and without a plan would have been sick. I had ghost images of the Operating System so when I could not boot after loading the 6.39s> I could replace the image of O/s and be back in businsess. A plan is a must in order not to cry and moan later.

Yes, you should in fact make a redoo of the steps of progression. I intend to sticky or position it in a findable place so others can have a 'plan' to proceed by. Of course the geniuses need no such but for the rest of us it is a real bonus and again I thank all of you that have helped Ed get here and put it to 'text'.

RGone... :cool:

These will be my last two posts to this thread.

I finished the install Saturday night. The computer is fully operational and stable, although I haven't run anything like Prime95 yet. But it is working without any noticable problems. I'm also still learning the WinXP ropes since I haven't used it before, and it's for 6 users, so I'm trying to make sure the files are saved on the right drives etc.

The only hiccup I had at the end of the install was the WinXP network wizard did not recognize my Vitesse LAN 1. I had connected the ethernet cable to LAN 1 since I had read this one was supposed to be faster or better than the Marvell LAN 2. WinXP only recognized the Marvell, saying it was disconnected (which it was, since the cable was attached to LAN 1). I seem to recall installing the network drives from the DFI disk, and I recall enabling the Marvell port in the BIOS, but I don't recall a separate BIOS setting for the Vitesse port. Even though WinXP didn't recognize LAN 1, I tried to install anyway, and eventually Windows told me I didn't have an internet connection through that port.

I moved the cable to the Marvell LAN 2 and bingo I connected to the router right away and completed the install. The basic steps I followed are in the final procedure, which I'll post next.

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. I know it helped my build go well, as the problems I had were mostly due to my inexperience. I'm sure I could build the same computer in half the time now with half the problems. Anyone who is intimidated about building a PC generally or using this motherboard can benefit from having a good plan laid out.